Changing

Shion's POV

I drag myself up and off the bed, still a bit sleepy, but I can't really afford to sleep too much right now. I just need the right amount to keep me alive and awake. 

I make my way down the stairs and into the kitchen. Then, suddenly, the image of my mother lying on the floor, around a pool of blood sends shivers down my spine (not the good kind). 

I cringe thinking about it and look away from the floor and open the fridge to find something to eat. 

After eating, I find out that it's almost 5 pm and I sigh. I had slept longer than I had thought, great, but then it was worth it. Being able to see Nezumi again... I would do anything to accomplish that simple but difficult goal. 

After cleaning myself up a bit more so I was still somewhat presentable to the public, I went to visit my mother. I wonder if she's doing alright... She probably is since Inukashi said she'd come get me if something happened. 

But little did I know. 

-----

I walk inside the hospital entrance and some people look over to me and give a nod. I give what I hope is smile and nod back. When I enter the elevators, I have a sick feeling in my stomach, as if something was coming and I am in no way prepared for it. 

I try to shake off the negative feeling, but it doesn't seem like my mind wants to so I let it linger there for a bit longer. I mean, it'll go away soon, right? Right?

The elevator stops at the 4th floor and I exit, leaving the empty metal box to go back downstairs to bring more people in and out of the hospital floors. 

As I roam in the halls to my mother's room, there's tension in the air. It leaves me feeling uneasy and I'm suddenly afraid to go see my mother. 

My breath has now become uneven and I stand in front of the door leading to my mother. I place a hand on the handle of the door, but I don't open it. I take a deep breath and was so close to opening the door until I hear voices inside. They sound furious, and there's a slight fear and sadness attached to them. 

Even though the door has muffled the voice, I can still hear perfectly what they're saying inside that room. It's definitely Inukashi speaking and I'm ready to fall and cry right now. 

I can't believe I'm actually hearing these words. 

I can't... I can't! 

My breathing is very loud and ragged. It's as if I had run a couple hundred miles or something, but that's the least of my worries. 

My heartbeat thumps so hard, I'm suprised they haven't broken my ribs yet. I hear the blood pumping in my ears and I bring both my hands over my ears to try to close off the sound from the outside. 

If I'm stuck in my own little bubble, I'll be fine, right? 

I fall to the floor, hands still covering my hears.

If I don't have to think about all the horrible things that are happening right now, I'll be fine, right? If I never have to wake up to see the light contaminated with darkness, I'll be fine, right? 

Right...?

Since I've been muffling my ears and freaking out at the same time, I hadn't realized someone had opened the door until they've wrapped me in a tight embrace. 

"Is it true...?" I ask whoever the hell is hugging me, my voice comes out forced and cracked. I honestly don't really care at this point. I'm so close to breaking down, a snap of a finger could drag me down into the darkness.