Long Way There

Nezumi's POV

I slowly open my eyes to reveal the sunlight that shone on an even more slanted angle. It's probably late afternoon now, and that's not good. I haven't covered as much ground as I thought I had... Which gives me quite a big problem.

I need to get out of this forest as soon as possible and find a village to stay in for the night, which leads to the problem... I'm far too deep in the forest and from what I can see-which is trees, trees, and more trees ahead of me-I won't be finding a village or anywhere safe to stay for the night. Which also means that I will have to stay fully awake through the night since I've never been through this forest before, so I don't know the dangers this forest inhabits. Then I'd probably be sleep deprived the next day, but I can't sleep during the day because it'd hinder my course even more.

I internally sigh. I can't believe I let myself fall asleep. Even if it allowed me to see Shion, I'm still disappointed in letting myself fall asleep in such a place.

I get up and grab my belongings before heading out again. I make my way over leaves, branches and wild vines. Walking like this leaves me too much time to think. Now especially when I had just woken up from a dream with Shion in it.

But still, I can't believe he saw me blush! I don't think I've blushed, though... And even if I had felt like blushing, I think I would've been able to hold it back. I can control my emotions better than this. I know I can, so how? How could Shion have seen my hideous feminine side? I really don't like the fact that my feelings get wavered easily. I don't like that I feel too much, worry too much, and too touchy. I hide it though, I know I do, and I hide it well.

Shion slips his hand in mine and leans in toward me, head resting on my shoulders. He plays with my sleeve as we converse with each other, trying to pass time, not doing anything in general. I like the feeling of him being close to me.

Why am I thinking about these things now? I have a destination to go to. I have a goal, and I should see nothing but the goal right now, so why am I fussing over such childish feelings? It doesn't make sense.

I trip over the roots of a tree which had sprouted from the ground and I nearly fall, but I catch myself and grab onto anything my hand can find and pull myself upright.

These thoughts are useless, go away, go away, go away. I need to focus right now, the world is in danger. There is no space and time to be thinking about such luxuries.

I keep walking and walking and walking, each step taking me closer to the sacred place. I strive forward, constantly blocking the thoughts that came related to Shion and my deep affection for him.

It does take a lot of energy and mentality to try not to think about the person you absolutely adore, but I somehow manage.

I get through the forest and find a village late in the middle of the night. I look for any open bars or hotels to stay in, but there weren't any open rooms left in such a crowded and small town. The streets aren't lit at all, so I have to navigate myself through the occasional light that came when I come close a building and the moon.

Although the town itself is pretty big in terms of its area (obviously, it's no where as big as No.6, but it's still considerably big for a town), there aren't many buildings to fit the number of people that live there.

I walk around, occasionally seeing drunkards that smirk my way, but I ignore them. Or at least, try to the best of my abilities. It's not easy ignoring a drunkard bastard when they approach you and try to pick you up (not in the literal sense of picking you up).

"Heeeeey, how's your day?" a drunk man asks me as he tries to position himself closer.

"Worse than you might think," I say under my breath, quiet enough so he won't hear.