twelve.

you watched the orange rays of sunlight peak through the rectangular glass windows. the warm glow was mesmerizing, a treasure in a normally gray bleak world.

it was odd for you to look outside the window since usually dazai did that, but now he was sound asleep.

a beacon of light pierced through the mullioned panes of glass, bathing the wooden tile floor in a crisscross of iridescent colour; illuminating the darkened room.

you stared at the sleeping man and frowned. the morning sun had kissed dazai awake. slivers of light peeped through the drawn blinds, casting thin golden stripes across his angelic face. he opened his eyes and slowly, drowsily and lopped sidedly he smiled.

"why are you staring at me?" he asked as his face turned into a lopsided grin.

"because you're beautiful." you cheekily replied, watching as his cheeks are suddenly kissed pink like a spring rose, the blooming color looked cute against his pale skin. he looks away and finds a distraction at his hands, twiddling his long fingers.

you hung back, allowing him time to compose himself, fighting back the smile that wants to break out. but your urge to smile was gone as you wanted to ask him what had happened the other day.

"hey dazai?" you asked as you saw him regain his composure.

"yes~?" he drew out with hum.

"i have something i need to get off my chest..." you clenched your teeth together and bawled your fists.

dazai only stared at you and you stared back at him. staring has become something of an art form in this sudden conversation. the first to avert their eyes is the loser, and that means subservient, weaker.

dazai was the first to break the eye contact as he shut his eyes tightly and crossed his fingers.

"is it your shirt? i really hope it's your shirt..." he whispered in a serious tone that had embarrassed you for a second, but then you remembered what happened the other day and sighed.

"what happened to you the other day? don't you dare say 'nothing'." you said with a worried voice.

"something..." he silently mumbled with eyes glued to the floor, as if having a staring competition with it.

"are you okay? and don't you dare say 'i'm fine' unless you truly are." you said as you knew he had lied the other day.

after being asked that, dazai's face fell faster than a corpse in cement boots. in that instant his skin became greyed, his mouth hung with lips slightly parted and his eyes were as wide as they could stretch. he couldn't possibly lie, he had nothing to protect him but empty words. they had always been good enough up until now but somehow he didn't think it was going to work this time.

he glanced nervously at you and gulped down, swallowing whatever pride he had left.

"no..." he chewed the inside of his cheek after answering.

you had a small smile and breathed out in relief as he wasn't lying this time.

"what's wrong?" you said with a gentle tone, making sure you didn't hurt him in any way.