fourteen.

rain fell like it means to wash us away, like it means to keep hammering until we smudge like a monet masterpiece. it sounded like the heavens are knocking on the door, roof, and window panes. today was a day of inescapable wetness as dazai sat near the window to watch the downpour errant drops fall.

dazai liked the rain. although people talk about the rain as a steady sound or else a gentle "pitter patter," to dazai it was raindrops on the dry verandah crackle like an old radio coming to life. they hit hard, no brakes, no slowing for the impact of the ground. only after the dry dusty planks have a new watery sheen does the sound soften.

"the weather is so depressing..." you said with a wistful grunt.

the pitiless rain fell without break all through the day and the roads were like shallow rivers. there is an intense anxiety to the rain, as if between the tumbling cloud and the earth it is fearful of never reaching its destination.

"i actually like the rain~" dazai smiled with a hum.

you then proceeded on sitting next to dazai as you motioned him to scoot, but he stubbornly ignored your request.

he patted his lap and had a gleaming smile. "sit sit!" he giggled playfully. that light giggle softened the room, as if his gentle sound could make the lamplight more golden and the fires burn warmer. that giggle made you comply weakly without any words of rejection.

as you sat down on his lap, you could hear the beat of the rain against the window and looking out could see through the curtain of water, the dimmed lights of the sprawling city. on a clear night the view was awe-inspiring.

you took a moment to look at dazai and he had a soft look. his hand made it to your hair and he began petting you.

he wore a look of satisfaction, as if having completed a deeply, personally needed action; expressed by the slightest curve at the mouth's corner and a youthful confidence worn in a light raise of the eyebrow above a quizzical, joyful eye. that look itself stopped your from telling him to stop.

"i think i like the rain now as well..." you quietly mumbled, although your words fumbled incoherently through your embarrassment.

"did you say something?" dazai asked, face with a puzzled expression and you just shook your head with a silent 'no'.

dazai sighed like a slight spring breeze, soft and gentle, almost lost against the pleasurable warm feeling of you cuddling in his lap.

you glanced upward, mouth pursed but slightly open and loose as you felt dazai softly push you off his lap and fixated his eyes to the door.

"what wrong?" you groaned as he kept his eyes glued to the door.

"i smell a bitch..." he whispered almost comically, but his face was serious.

in the next second the door was broken off the wall and both dazai and you grunted.

"i've come to visit the both of you." chuuya triumphantly stated proudly, placing his hand on his waist.

"geh." dazai looked at him with a distorted expression of disgust.

"why do you look so disgusted at my appearance!" chuuya furiously stomped his foot on the wooden tiles as he pointed directly at dazai.