Chapter 3: Seven

DAMN IT! I COULD HAVE BET ON IT! There's always technical difficulties! Why today?! I'm stuck for like an hour or two! Gosh! Anyway where was I? Oh yeah, the stupid reasoning and human curiosity helped me find out I had questions, lots of them. Guess what? We never learn no matter how many times people tell you 'curiosity killed the cat'. It's not my fault! The cat got out from the bag on its own! If you asked me it would have died either way! I mean: suffocate inside the bag or get out and let reality stab you to death. See?! Either way the cat's gonna die!

Okay, okay I'm just pissed off! What actually happened was different, I guess! When I asked her one of the questions mentioned earlier, she didn't reply and a terrifying silence fell upon us. 'This one question was going to tear us apart' is the first thought that hit me during that silence. I thought there are some questions better left unanswered. Anything was better than losing her. She somehow became so incredibly important to me. I couldn't even figure out why.

After every conversation, a weird feeling of guilt would emerge out of nowhere. Why was I so guilty? It didn't matter. No more questions. Losing her was just absurd, impossible. I had to make it impossible. Why did she become my everything in so little time?

I didn't care about anything anymore. She was the only thing that mattered. I stopped questioning everything for her sake. She was more than just a dream. I needed her in my life, more than my coffee in the morning, more than my games, more than my oxygen. Maybe it was because she listened, or maybe because she knew me so well, or just because somehow I was sure she was related to my past. I didn't want to know why anymore. Everything was perfect. nothing made sense but it was still perfect. It's what made it perfect. Reason will ruin it!

And then it happened! One day coming back from a crappy day when everything was just awful, I wanted nothing more than to see her. I wanted to talk like we usually did. I wanted her to make me feel better and make me forget about the real world, like how she usually does. It's funny how i don't remember what made my day so terrible but I clearly remember what made it one of the worst days of my life! I still recall the disappointment in me, the anger, the sadness, and every possible feeling rising inside of me that night when she didn't show up.

She was supposed to be here waiting for me but she wasn't and I had no idea why. She just disappear without a goodbye or a warning or anything. Was it because she thought I would stop her? Maybe, because I sure would have. I wouldn't let her walk out of my life just like that.

She was supposed to turn seven that day. It was the beginning of the week and I was excited to remember her birthday and talk about it together. I wanted someone who would willingly listen to me when I complain and for the first time ever in the past six weeks, she wasn't there to do that.

She disappeared that day without any way to trace her back to find out who she really is, to meet her in real life, to even make sure she was real. Was she just a dream? Why did I see her for six weeks straight in my dreams? These questions would never be answered, I thought. And how could they if I can't see her anymore, I wondered.

I didn't want to give up. Not yet. Maybe I'll see her tomorrow. She might come tomorrow, I kept telling myself over and over as if she'll come back if I keep repeating it like it was a charm. Maybe I was trying to cast some spell of hope. Anything would do if it meant bringing her home. Like all of us humans do, I created an invisible thread of hope and held on to it like my life depended on it. I refused to let her go. I didn't want her to leave and even if I had no proof or chance to get her back ever I still needed to believe I'll see her again.

That night, ironically, for the first time ever, I noticed how little I knew her. Come to think about it: what did I know about her? Her name was Harmony. Week after week, she would grow a year older. She was kind, cared about me and listened. That was it. That was all  I knew about her. Even though I loved her so much, I barely knew anything about her.

That fact alone destroyed me more than anything. I wished to see her. I needed to see her. Just one more time. One last time. Was that too much? It didn't seem like it, yet it meant so much, maybe even too much.

The next day, I was so down I couldn't even think straight. I was surprised by how much her disappearance affected me but more than that I was surprised by how much I missed her. The feeling of guilt came back out of nowhere. Why was I feeling guilty? I don't recall doing anything wrong, right? Was it my fault she left? Is it related to the 'accident' I had when I was seven? Was it the day I forgot her? I had no idea. How could I?

That day I left work early for the first time ever since I started working there. I never even called in sick before! I just couldn't focus on anything I needed to see if she'll be back that night. Obviously, I slept early that day, as early as I could, hoping she'll be here tonight. But she wasn't. That was two nights in a row now. But I still had hope for the day after. I couldn't get myself to stop so quickly. But she didn't come the next day and the day after it. Slowly I started losing more and more hope and by the end of the week I had already gave up hope.

That was it. I will never see my Harmony ever again. The idea alone hurt like hell as I missed her kind smile more and more by the second.

AN: And that's the end of the third chapter! I hope you enjoyed reading it because I sure did enjoy writing it. That sure was a weird twist though don't you think ^.^' So what do you think will happen next. Will Leto find his Harmony in real life (that is if she exists)? Will he meet her again? Will he ever know why she disappeared suddenly? Is she even related to his past?

TALK TO ME PEOPLE!