Chapter 6: The Diary

Morning finally came. After the note I woke up and it was impossible to go back to sleep. And even though I was determined I wanted to check 'The Room', I decided not to, at least not yet. It was a Friday morning. I just had to hold on until I came back from work, I'll check it in the evening and visit my parents tomorrow to be able to discuss whatever dark past I might find.

Work that day was hell itself! I couldn't focus on anything. I was too busy imagining what could possibly be hiding in that room. I mean everything could be revealed by just walking through that damn door but instead I'm locked here waiting until I destroy all of my nerves down to the last one. Everything depended on whatever was lying behind that door. Every secret could be revealed. I might get to meet Harmony in real life or at least someone related to her. Quite ironic!

At the end my boss asked me to take an early leave because I was clearly not in the mood for work and it was my first time ever getting distracted from my work. He said that I was working too much and deserved a little break. But knowing that cheap ass, it's probably gonna affect my salary at the end of the month. I didn't care I can afford losing a few bucks for the sake of finding out the truth behind my entire being.

I was home at last! I stood in front of that door, the only thing standing between me and my past. Right that second, reality struck me bad and every thread of determination I had left was gone. Was I ready? Should I be alone doing this? What if I was better off not knowing? Doubts started to creep in which left lost and indecisive. I was scared.

Dammit.

I was a coward I admit but there are questions better left unanswered. After a few minutes of confusion I realized if I don't open that door right now, I would regret it my entire life! I had the chance of a lifetime! I get to know what happened that shocked me so bad it made me forget everything. After all, there might be nothing at all behind the stupid door and my subconscious was just playing tricks on me.

Decisive, I opened the door and entered 'The Room' for the first time. As I walked in, I could feel my heart throbbing so hard, it was going to jump out of my chest. I looked around carefully. It was a children playroom with cheap wooden toys everywhere, old toys (probably mine when I was young). But the details of the room didn't matter once I noticed the dried blood everywhere: on the floor, the walls, the chairs... everywhere.

What the hell happened in here? This place looked like a slaughterhouse. The smell of blood reeked everywhere as i was so shocked I was having trouble breathing. There was blood for god's sake. I calmed myself down as I started feeling the smell fading away. After all it was dried blood. There was never a smell to begin with. It must have been because of the shock.

I looked around, still disturbed by the blood that surrounded me. And then my eyes landed on the only thing in the world that could have possibly made me forget the disgusting blood surrounding me in the room. It was right there, waiting for me to read it 'Harmony's diary'.

I couldn't believe it! Harmony was real! I got closer taking slow nervous steps until I was finally standing right in front of it. I looked at it closely, analyzing it. It was exactly like I remembered seeing it, precious.

I opened it and started reading it.

*****

June 20, 1986

Dear diary,

A new family moved in lately, they seem nice. And guess what? They have a son just my age. I bet we're going to be great friends.

*****

June 21, 1986

Dear diary,

I met him. His name is 'Leto' and he seems quiet fun. He's very reserved and shy, but he's also polite, nice, kind, caring and attentive. Weird how much I got to know him in just one meeting. I hope one day he'll open up to me!

*****

June 25, 1986

Dear diary,

My mom and Leto's mother became friends and now I get to spend more time with him. He's even friendlier now. I guess eventually he'll open up to me!

*****

July 2, 1988

Dear diary,

I can't believe how close Leto and I are! We're hanging out everyday now. I went to his birthday a few days ago and he came to mine. But he still won't open up to me! Is it normal for a kid not to complain?

*****

August 17, 1989

Dear diary,

I heard shouting last night from Leto's house. I think they were fighting about money. I didn't want to eavesdrop on them but Leto wouldn't tell me anything! Whatever I'm sure they're fine. I mean even in movies, the prince and princess fight sometimes right?

*****

September 6, 1989

Dear diary,

Leto's mom came to my house this morning. She was crying. I wonder what happened? Leto is still not telling me anything! I thought we were close! I guess I'll give it some time.

*****

September 20, 1989

Dear diary,

I heard my mom talk to Leto's mom. Now I know what has been happening. That explains all the fights and the screaming! I'm sure they'll work it out though, they're adults after all! It's Leto that I'm worried about though! He has no one to rely on, he must feel very lonely! If only he would talk to me about it!

*****

June 19, 1990

Dear diary,

Finally, I made progress with Leto! After all these years, and with the loud fights getting stronger and stronger by the night, Leto finally cracked and started opening up to me! I mean sure he just said one sentence but it meant the world to me even if all he said was 'It hurts' it's still progress!

*****

June 28, 1990

Dear diary,

Leto's completely opening up to me now! Amazing right? But I'm kinda worried: these fights have been going on for years now. I hope everything will be solved.

*****

July 4, 1990

Dear diary,

I'm worried about Leto. The fights are starting to get out of hands now! I wish there was something I could do about it!

*****

AN: And that was what was inside the book and you guys finally found out what's in that room! YEAY YOU! I guess now you kind of have an idea of what might have happened. But I'm so mean I decided to make you guys wait for one last chapter before finding out. So give me your opinion: What do you think happened? What was with the blood everywhere? What happened to Leto's parents? And did you guys like Harmony's diary?(and I know it's not related to the story but I'm really interested in your opinion)

TALK TO ME PEOPLE!