Chapter 7: The Truth (part 1)

I kept on reading her diary page by page as if it was some story. I was supposed to remember this but I couldn't even though it all seemed so familiar, so nostalgic. I couldn't help but smile at the thought that her hand writing was the same in my dreams because it just proved to me how real the Harmony of my dreams was, she seemed to be exactly like the real Harmony.

At that moment, I felt a pain in my heart stinging me. I remembered how she was apologizing so sincerely it felt like she had committed the biggest crime there is even though she was just a kid.

And then, I got to the last page. There was not one word written on it. All there was: blood. It was then at that specific moment when my eyes hit the blood that it all came flooding back.

I remembered.

Everything. Down to the last detail. Everything was crystal clear in my mind. I remembered my entire childhood so vividly.

I remember how we moved here when I was only three and I met Harmony who was so straightforward and honest, it made me admire her. I wanted to be like her, strong and confident. We were a happy family then. It was just me, my mom and dad and we were happy this way. We loved and cherished each other truly until one day everything fell apart. All hell broke loose. Nothing was right anymore and everything lost its color.

My dad got fired from his job and had to look for another one but he couldn't find one. My mom offered to help and work too but he turned it down. He said that he was the man of the family and he was the one who should get the bills and taxes payed. Beside who would look after me if she worked? I was still young and needed to be loved and cared for my dad argued. But the pressure was just getting worse and worse.

He was barely able to afford food on the table. And it killed him. He wanted more for my mom and myself. He wanted to make us happy. Even though we were, he thought we were just being strong for his sake but inside we were miserable. Little did he know that he would soon forget and change because of the pressure and the worries. He had to maintain a good happy family.

For the first time ever, he fought with my mom and screamed in her face. It was their first fight. The screams terrified me. I remember that day how my mom crumbled down crying mumbling things like 'this was not the man I fell in love with'  she went to Harmony's mom to cry on her shoulder. When I looked at dad, he gave me a sad smile with eyes filled with guilt as he mumbled a 'sorry' under his breath before leaving. I thought he was going after mom but he didn't. He came back drunk that night. Without even being able to face my mom, he slept on the couch in the living room.

I was never the type to complain so I didn't tell anyone about it. I was worried someone would tell my parents and they would think of me as a burden. The last thing they needed was to worry about a sad child. So I did what anyone else would do: hide my true feelings. You can't even imagine how good I was at faking it. I had to. They shouldn't worry about me, they had bigger issues.

Days passed and nothing changed. Actually, things were getting worse and worse. My dad was more and more worried day by day. They couldn't even afford celebrating my birthdays anymore but I didn't care. All I cared about was helping them. I felt so useless at the time. There was nothing I could do for god's sake. I wanted to just hurry up and become an adult so that I could do something, so that I could help.

The fights were getting worse and worse by the day. They were intense as the screaming and yelling was deafening. Curses and swears were replacing the love and care we shared. I specifically recall the first time my dad hit my mom.

It was a regular day as he came back from work, my mom welcomed him like she usually does and the fights began like they always did. Anger was everywhere. Fighting over the silliest details. My father's worries were eating him alive to the point where he was starting to forget who he was, why he was doing this. He simply lost sight of his goal. He just knew he had to work his ass off without being able to remember the reason behind the hard work.

And then it happened. He slapped my mother in the face. He, who had promise to kill anyone who would hurt a strand of her hair, laid hands on her. The loud sound of the collision between his hand and her cheek vibrated in the entire house as he was slowly realizing what he had done.

My mother didn't cry. Her tears dried up long ago. She was shocked. She had no idea who was the man in front of her because he was not her husband. And when he was finally able to comprehend just how far this fight got, he crumbled to the floor in tears. He was sorry. He regretted it from the depth of his heart. But most importantly he was back.

My mother held him in her arms silently as she sat beside him on the floor. What else could she have done? She had to be there for him. He was destruction itself reincarnated inside his human body while she was the peace of his world and the only person who would be able to balance his universe.

I was told many times that he was never a normal person to begin with. He had a rough childhood and was alone throughout his entire life. He was always cranky and ready to pick a fight with anyone for no reason. He could only express himself throughout violence. That is until he met my mother.

She turned his world upside down. She taught him peace and love. He learned from her how to calm down, relax and enjoy the moment. She was the only person in his entire life who tried to help him. She meant the world to him. Without her he would have stayed a soulless corpse just moving around from one place to another for the rest of his life. She gave his life a purpose, a meaning.

When he first proposed to her, my grandparents warned her that one day he will hurt her, that he won't be able to make her happy, that he will be the reason behind her own destruction. They called him 'a bomb who was going to explode any minute'  and they didn't want her to go down with him. They never refused him and were always kind to him because he needed all the love he could get. The only reason why they approved of him was to not lose their daughter.

They always reminded her: 'He will be the end of you'. They were warning her wanting to protect her. If only they knew how right they were. But nobody could have known at the time.

AN: Hey guys! I would like to dedicate this chapter to my lovely sister Mayuurie who encouraged me to write this story and voted for every chapter. She's writing an awesome story called "The Outcast" you should definitely check it out, it's amazing.

Now back to my story, I will be posting the next chapter in the next few hours and it will be the last. I wasn't planning on talking about the parents' relationship but it felt like it was better to do so because it's going to explain a lot about the next few things. I hope you liked it! I wonder what you think about them and if you've figured out the rest. Tell me in the comments won't you? As always:

TALK TO ME PEOPLE!