CHAPTER 9

As soon as they were done with their final exam, the girls all dashed to their rooms to prepare. They had agreed to have a night out to celebrate the completion of their university degrees.

After the coast vacation things had changed between Sean and Sidney. Just the occasional hello. She had also gotten close to Amber. They would sometimes have lunch and go shopping. She was such a friendly person Sidney. Devin had been her world. His outgoing nature forced her to come out of her shell. She now found herself doing things she would never have imagined. She loved the new her.

Exactly 9pm Devin picked them up. As usual they were all dressed to kill. They arrived in one of the prestigious uptown clubs. Devin was popular, the scene was covered with a few media personalities and bloggers. They insisted on having photos of the her and Devin.

Sidney was not sure when this had become her life. From a simple girl pursuing her degree to a sophisticated lady dating one of the affluent bachelors. She smiled at the paparazzi as they took photos. Devin put an affectionate arm around her. He was fond of marking his territory not that she minded.  The club was filled with most of their friends from campus and some of Devin's acquaintances. Entry was invite only. The evening was fun. They drank champagne as they danced to their favorite songs. Sean was around he came over to greet her then left with Devin to move to a quieter place to talk.

"I am glad you are treating Sidney right, the two of you look happy" he told him.

"She is my world brother," Devin replied sincerely.

"I think it's about time I settled down,"

He was a little taken back. He had not expected his cousin to take things this fast.

"Settle down?" he asked

"I think it's time I did" he tapped his pocket moved away from Sean and headed to where Sidney was.

Sidney was dancing next to her friends when a group of exotic dancers serenaded her. They were dressed in gold sequins and moved around Sidney in unison. All attention was on her and the dancers. She shyly danced back as they led her towards Devin before making their exit dance. The music switched to a much slower tempo that was more romantic. Their attention was diverted to the screens where photos of Devin and Sidney were being displayed. Everyone watched. Suddenly the photos stopped and on the screen were the words: will you marry me?

She turned and saw Devin on his knee holding a red velvet box. In it was a gold and sapphire ring. She silently stared at the ring. She had not seen this coming. Over the weeks they had developed an extra closeness. She was so attached to him and wouldn't bear any thoughts of not seeing him frequently. She looked round and saw the joyous looks on her friends faces then looked at him.

"Will you be mine? Always and forever?" he asked.

He seemed nervous. She smiled at him.

"Yes" she replied enthusiastically.

Devin slid the ring on her finger and stood up to kiss her. Everyone applauded and moved to congratulate them.

The music resumed. Sean stood watching them. Tanya walked over to where he was.

"You love her" she told him noticing the look in his eyes.

"Why don't you tell her what you feel?"

"I love her like my sister" Sean replied moving away. He could not define the emotion that he was feeling. As he approached the newly engaged he felt a gush of emotion seeing her happy. She was beaming with joy. Maybe they truly loved each other. Suddenly he felt lonelier than he had ever felt in his life.