CHAPTER 10

Days went by quickly. Morning of the farewell party Sidney woke up feeling grumpy. Devin had been so busy with his new position that they had time to meet. They occasionally talked on phone but things were different.

She had to tell him she was pregnant. He was her fiancé and father of her unborn child. He deserved to be told. Now she would know if he truly loved her as he claimed, she looked at her engagement ring and got all the courage. Her phone rang.

"How is your morning?" she heard Sean's brisk voice.

"Not that bad" she responded.

"I know my cousin is a little bit busy and might not come to pick you so I will do him the favor and come take you to the party"

"I totally understand his situation, don't trouble yourself I will ride with one of my friends" she told him

"On the contrary it will be such a pleasure, I will come pick you at five pm no debate about that"

Sidney smiled and agreed before hanging up.

A few minutes to five she was not yet ready. She had been having feeling nauseous and kept on going to the toilet to vomit. Sean was punctual but waited for her. They ended up leaving around six thirty she knew they would be late but he managed to convince her it was worth it. She looked beautiful in a white Italian evening dress and sapphire tear drop earrings to match her ring. Her makeup was done to perfection with a touch of red lipstick.

Twenty minutes later they arrived at the outskirts of town where Devin's parents owned a huge mansion. Sean held her hand and led her inside. The grand entertainment hall had been converted to host the party.

"We thought you would never come" Tanya spoke as Sidney joined them.

"Yeah you kept us waiting" complained Dina staring at her perfectly manicured nails.

They had agreed to meet at earlier so that they could catch up before the party started. Everyone had showed up on time other than her.

"What is the big deal? She is here isn't she? " said Lavina coming to her defense.

Sidney looked at them helplessly and tried to smile apologetically. She was still feeling a little bit off.

Sensing her distress Sean signaled the waiters to bring them refreshments. She had been behaving awkwardly. He felt sorry for her. He knew she was sad about Devin going away.  At least the drinks would distract the girls.

They sipped their drinks as they looked around at the guests gathered. Devin spotted them and walked over.

"You look beautiful" he said kissing Sidney on the cheek.

"And how is my future daughter in law"

Sidney turned and saw Devin's mom flamboyantly dressed, arms open welcoming her in an embrace.

"It is such a lovely party Mrs Kitet" she said hugging her future mother in law.

"Thank you dear. Anything but the best for my son" she replied looking lovingly at Devin.

"Sidney, I have to steal your friends, there are too many young bachelors lurking in this place and I need to introduce these lovely ladies to them" she winked as she walked away with Tanya, Dina and Lavina. Sean had vanished into the crowd. Tanya and Lavina left excitedly with Devin's mom.

"How is the man of the hour" she gently poked him.

"He is feeling lucky to have you by his side, what about my favorite girl"