[5] Mineshaft

[Barry POV]

[Barry POV]

Each and every expression of shock and disgust was a decrease in my confidence. Even Jeff, the happy go lucky goofball looked like he was going to pee himself. I was no less the same, even though I'll bet I look very calm and ready for anything. The shades are just for show...

Nobody said anything as I put the shades back on slowly and stared at the wall. McJones, after ten full minutes or so, finally spoke up.

"Right..." he said, pushing his glasses to his nose probably to hide the fear in his own eyes.
"Let's bring a crafting table then. Where there's spiders there's string, and collecting strings to makes bows is an invaluable technique."

We all nodded.

A few minutes later, Austin (who had a general idea of the location) lead us to the where the mineshaft was, then began to wander in the direction of the rouvine.

We were all a bit confused, to say the least.
"What's wrong Austin?" Jared asked, probably presuming he's scared.

He didn't say much, only chuckle softly under his breath.
"McJones told me to go look for more iron and maybe even diamonds." He said, equipping his iron pick.

"You okay alone?" Jeff asked, already creating a stairwell up to the mines.

Austin raised his hand as he walked away, his own way of saying he will be fine. I'll take his word for it... he's the type of guy to go solo for treasure anyway. The adventure type.

Not long after we looked away I saw the towering cobblestone staircase that led to the level above us.
"Guys! I did it!" Jeff yelled towards us, waving enthusiastically

We cautiously followed Ray up the stairs into the mineshaft where the deadly cave spiders and valuable treasure lay. Hopefully more of the treasure than the spiders.

It was pitch black, probably indicating something was wrong before it was abandoned. Somebody before us must've used it before... something got to them. It was abandoned, of course, but usually torches lit the horrific atmosphere and made it a slightly less frightening location.
As we advanced forward slowly, more and more spider webs dangling from the ceilings and attached to the old musty stone walls came into view and we starting to feel more unease. The webs grew not only in number, but in size as well. It was certainly startling to see a huge web the size of my head...
Just how big are these things?

"T-t-take this chance to gather string..." McJones stuttered as he placed a torch down.
"Craft... some bows..."

We took a little break, placing down the crafting table and scattered to gather all the string in the perimeter. There was not a single voice, hoping silently that whatever lurked around here was not suspicious of the activities where we are.
Without any care, Jared wandered away babbling something about gathering more iron. I really don't appreciate his recklessness, that might get some of us killed.

"ARGH!" Somebody's voice echoed through the mineshaft.

It was Jared!
My first instinct was to dash in the direction of the scream but that was extremely idiotic. Several cave spiders came out the dark and hissed as they charged at me mercilessly.
Without a second thought my blade went across the eight crimson red eyes of the first and the appendix of the next.
"Jared! Where are you?!" I yelled, killing the third by pinning it down.

"Dude it's raining spiders!" He shouted, painfully limping towards me.

Sure enough green tainted cave spiders fell from the ceiling and landed in a pile  of rubble, spreading dust as it landed. At least seven were present, scuttling towards us...
Jared healed behind us while Jeff charged ahead, shield in hand. McJones threw me a bow and immediately after I was shot three rather large spiders who were just too close for comfort. Jeff finished off the rest along with a completely healed Jared.

"More is coming!" I yelled as I saw more falling through the cracks.

It won't end... there's definitely a spawner there - continuously spawning deadly cave spiders that came in packs and fell from the ceiling. All I need to do is find it and break the spawner...!

"Jeff, follow!" I screamed, placing blocks in a stair-like pattern leading to where the spiders fell from.
He ran in with me behind him, bow equipped and ready to shoot whatever came our way.
And there it was! The spawner was in the darkest segment of the mine, infested with webs.

Without any remorse I ran in with pickaxe in hand, jumping into the webbed pit and continuously smashing the spawner with all my might. It broke of course.... but not before spawning two final cave spiders.
I need to hurry out of there if I want to survive, two of those things will kill me if--
IM STUCK!

"JEFF! JEFF HELP IM STUCK!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, hoping he would rush in to aid me.
"JEEEEEEFFFFFF!"

He never came.

The spiders finally saw me, edging near me with fangs bared and eight eyes flashing red with bloodlust. I'm a goner.

[Jeff POV]

I heard Barry scream and it was horrific... sprinting to his screams I dashed towards the cave spider spawner. There I saw a tip of his helmet, still moving around... thank god.

As I edged near however, my heart dropped...

he was still moving, but no longer alive. With his iron helmet shining under the torchlight and sword still clutched tightly in hand. Barry stood there as a zombie and staring at me with dead colourless eyes.
I dropped to my knees and stared aimlessly at the painful bite marks on his neck that he can no longer feel...