[8] Preparation for Hell

[Ray's POV]

[Ray's POV]

Austin had too much suffering in one day, both emotionally and physically. He was our morale booster and he tragically fell back to being depressed.
After we learned the tragic end of Jared we had no more intentions of pushing ahead, only simply to throw on the towel and call it a horrible, catastrophic, deathly day...
We collected 'enough iron. I alone got a baker's dozen or so and we all got some.
Slowly and quietly we followed the torches for what seemed like an eternity, finally coming out of the caves - covered in coal dust, exhausted and completely drained of morale.

When we returned I feel my first set of business is to dig the grave myself and let Austin recover from the shock. McJones and Dean decided to leave him alone and work on a second floor while Jeff cooked up something for him.

He looked worse than we first found him, Jared's downfall probably finally setting in

He looked worse than we first found him, Jared's downfall probably finally setting in. Believe me when I say seeing someone usually so chipper and happy become downright scarred frightened me for what's to come.

~~~~~~~~~

Two days passed since we came out from the cave. Not much has happened, most notable is that Dean, McJones and I finally finished the second floor - complete with the Nether portal ready for our use at any time. The violet glow contrasting the dark obsidian was really out of place in our cozy manor, but it was still a beautiful sight to behold nevertheless.
We finally assigned Austin to a job since his arm looked at least a thousand times better than the scorched mess he initially had. He was too guilty of doing nothing to oblige.

He seemed to have returned again, but we still hear him muttering something about it being his fault. It happened so fast I seriously doubt it was his fault at all...

"Here's a shovel." McJones said as he gave Austin the shiny tool.

He rolled his eyes,
"Oh really? I thought it was a sword..." he sarcastically muttered.

McJones raised a finger and smirked,
"Shovel knight--"

"Shaddap! I get it..." he huffed, picking up the shovel and slinging over his back.