Chapter 9 - Earth and Drake

I followed behind Cylak as we walked past our neighborhood, Downtown, and the field I got lost in. We arrived at a beautiful river with an enormous waterfall, and all I could do was stare in awe.

“This is Hulinya Waterfall.” Cylak told me, but I was still jaw-dropped and barely paying attention to him. “This is the Water Exit.”

I stood in amazement, but then in nervousness. It was the prettiest waterfall I’ve ever seen, but there was a secret that I’ve never told anyone before.

“I can’t swim, Cylak.” I muttered as I dipped my head in shame.

Cylak turned to face me. “You can’t swim!? All faeries are required to know how to swim!” He exclaimed like it was idiotic, which it probably was.

“I lived on Earth for most of my life, and my parents didn’t want me in the water. They said it was dangerous.” I argued, although it was a stupid reason.

“Calia, it’s perfectly fine! Besides, you won’t even touch it.” He let out and unimpressed sigh. “Can’t swim. You’ll learn!” He waved my along, and started to fly. “This way.”

I just stared at him, laughing at how he was being the stupid one. I hoped he’d realize that my wings were wrapped around my waist underneath her shirt.  Cylak shook his head and I hopped in his arms, and he carried me to the top of the waterfall. I climbed down and looked over the beautiful landscape, wondering if this really was the right choice. There wasn’t much up there. Just some huge, jagged rocks, and a river behind it that looked like it could go for miles.

Cylak flew to the last rock of all the jagged rocks. He flew to the back and knocked on it seven times, between knock five and six there was a pause. This followed by lots of knobs, nine to be exact. He pulled on one, turned another to the left, and another to the right. A latch appeared, and he pulled on it.

“Why is everything so complicated?” I asked as the opening appeared, a lot like the way an opening appeared at Ridgeland.

“We can’t risk anyone to come in, mostly. We have never had a human enter before, but if they do, they’ll never get out, due to complicated Exits.” He laughed as he shook his head. “I would feel sorry for that idiot.”

“Ah, I see.” I agreed, somehow understanding.

“Yeah yeah, so smart. Come on.” Cylak ordered as he grabbed my hand and we walked through the Exit together.

~~~~~~~~~~

When we walked through, I noticed we were next to the lake on Ridgeland property, right in front of a large boulder. I noticed that the sky was a pinkish-red color, so it must be evening.

“We should get you home. Your family has been waiting long enough.” Cylak muttered sadly.

“You should go back, Cylak.” I suggested, but it was really an order. “If someone sees me with you…”

He sighed, realizing where I was going with this. “I know. Be careful, Calia.” He waved and flew over to the fountain, where he soon disappeared.

I ran to the sidewalk, and soon was on my way home. I was getting lots of weird glances walking home, and some people said things like “Isn’t that her?” and “Look, there she is!” but I ignored, knowing the drama would have to end at some point.

I finally got to my front door about a half hour later, and found it open. I walked inside and shut the door behind me, breathing in the air that was my home sweet home. The house looked the same as she left it, but with some phone books and missing person fliers. The place was eerily quiet, and I knew something wasn’t right.