Chapter 19 - The Second War

“Uncle, please don’t! This war is ridiculous enough as it is!” I pleaded as we arrived in the field where the Fire Tree stands. The Wingless Soldiers, Archers, and Fighting Magics were all in the area, waiting for their last battle. They were all prepared.

Prepared to win.

“Silence, Calia! Jeez, you’re almost as bad as your father.” Talamaki said annoyingly.

“Well, what would you do if you fought against your own people, your own race, and your own family? You’d be pretty pissed, huh?” I stated confidently but worriedly.

“Oh, shut up. You’re going back to Earth anyway, so why do you care?”

“Because it’s me friends! My brother, my aunt, my…” I trailed, thinking of a word for Cylak. “The one I love.”

Talamaki had a wide grin on his face. “Love? You do like Cylak! Oh, what a nice surprise.”

“This isn’t new. I thought I didn’t, I thought it was a mistake, but no. This is real. He may be… the one.” I grasped my fist to my chest. Why was I telling my uncle this?

“Aw, how sweet, my dear niece is growing up!” Talamaki laughed.

“I’m not kidding, uncle. But what would you know? You’ve never loved anyone in your life!” I shrieked as Talamaki drew his hand back and snapped it across my face. The blow made me fall into the tanish-yellow field.

“That’s not true. I have loved. But she died years ago. I know I’ll never see her again, but… It’s always nice to dream. She was really special, Calia. More special then you and your precious Cylak. We were going to get married.” He muttered softly, avoiding my gaze as he looked up towards the sky.

I stumbled to my feet in shock. My uncle never said anything about this. He had a fiancée? She died? You can’t get over something like that. She now understood how he could be so evil and cruel. Losing someone you love like that is almost unrepairable.

The sound of horse hooves and footsteps broke me from my thoughts. A guard placed brackets on my wrists and ankles but had no chain.

“Oh great, what kind of metal is this?” I asked, ready to memorize yet another stupid metal.

“It’s Lazimetal. It allows me to do this.” He had a small, ruby-colored jewel in his hand. He wrapped his fingers around the shape. Just like that, my arms extended out in front of me, and a small flame conjured in my hands with no control.

“What the hell?” I muttered, struggling to move my arms, but had no effect. I couldn’t move my legs, either. I was stuck.

“I can control you now, Calia.” He laughed sinisterly, rubbing the jewel carefully.

I ducked my head, avoiding his gaze. “Winged. Aunt Holly. Ezami. Aaron. Cylak.” I whispered to myself as a tear rolled down my cheek. “Forgive me.”

“Winged!” Aunt Holly called out to her army on the other side of the field, now regained with greater numbers. “Today will be the day we win it all! We fight for our wings, our race, and our world! Even though some may die, we plan for all of them to die! You won’t die cowards, useless, or hopeless. Tanyela will be Winged, once and for all!”

The crowd for the Winged cheered ruthlessly, but optimistically, rising their weapons high in the air. The Queen glanced at the Wingless army, smiling, knowing that the Winged will win. Uncle Talamaki stared back at them determiningly. This war hasn’t even begun yet.

“Wingless! Are you going to take that crap from them?” Talamaki shouted to his army. He grasped the Lazimetal.

“No!” The army and I shouted. I struggled to move, but it was no use.