Chapter 17 - The Escape

“Morning!” I exclaimed as Drake arrived the next morning.

“Hey, you’re still here.” Drake laughed, making my cheeks blush lightly.

“I know. Shocker.” I laughed with him.

“Hey, do you want to go to lunch? I know it’s only ten, but-”

“Someone’s coming at noon.” I cut him off, sighing.

“Oh, uh, then we’ll go early.” He assured, and I nodded.

“Okay.” I said, intertwining my hand in his. We started walking down from the front porch to the sidewalk. One, two, three, fo-

“Calia, get back here this instant!” Mom shouted from the doorway. Three and a half seconds. Kind of slow for her.

“Crap.” I whispered to Drake. He let go of my hand and turned around, approaching my mother.

“You’re ruining my girlfriend’s life. She’s God damned miserable! I don’t care what you say, or what you do, but we’re going to lunch. Arrest me if you have to, but she’s mine.” Drake said angrily, but sincerely. I smiled widely, but I knew it wasn’t going to last.

She just gave him an amused look. “Okay. I’ll go wi-”

“No. This is my time with her.” Drake thrust his arm in front of me, somehow knowing that Mom would attack him.

“Calia, in here. Now.” Mom pointed inside.

“No.” Drake refused, grabbing my wrist. “Arrest me first.”

Mom ran inside and picked up the nearest phone. “That can be arranged.”

“No!” I shrieked as I ran past Drake and grabbed the phone. I threw it across the room, were it hit the china cabinet and shattered the glass. Tears started to run down my face. Drake and Mom fighting? Why! Both Drake and Mom stood shocked.

“We’ll have lunch here.” Drake said, coming inside and wrapping an arm around my waist.

“Fine, don’t be so violent.” Mom said evenly. I burst free of Drake’s arm and ran up to my room. I threw myself on the bed, listening to the footsteps I heard behind me.

“She’s insane.” Drake said, shutting the door and sitting next to sobbing, face-buried-in-my-hands me on the bed. “I can see how you’re miserable.”

“No, really?” I asked sarcastically, looking up into his perfectly circle, hazel eyes.

“Hey, you’re eyes are purple! I didn’t know that.” Drake laughed.

“Well done, captain obvious.” I sniffled, wiping some tears away. I was at least starting to feel happier. Drake wrapped his arms around me and I stayed there silently, feeling the time tick by slowly.

“So, how long will you think you’ll be gone this time?” Drake finally asked, knowing I dreaded it.

“I’ll call you. Okay?” I said reassuringly. I glanced at the clock, and whined when it read eleven-thirty. “Hey, I’m going to go make some sandwiches. What do you like?” I asked, getting up from the bed and walking to the door.

“Ham and cheese.” Drake said getting up from the bed. “But I can make mine.”

“No, it’s fine.” I opened the door and headed downstairs to the kitchen. Drake followed me down like a puppy with a tennis ball, wanting to play fetch. I opened the fridge and pulled out the condiments and placed them on the counter. We both made sandwiches, and put the ingredients back in the fridge.