Chapter Five: The Road Runner

Lana's POV

One Month Later

  My feet pounded against the cement, my heart felt as if it would burst, my lungs were burning for more oxygen but I couldn't stop, couldn't even slow down. I was so close, I could win this. I was on the curve of the track and all I had were about 400 meters left. Behind me, I could hear feet pounding and someone coming close to me.

   In the distance, I could hear people calling many names, shouting encouragement to all who were running. Somewhere, I heard my name being shouted, "Come on Lana! You're so close!" I wanted to smile but I had to beat this person that was getting close.

   I willed my legs to go faster, to take longer strides. Once, I read this article saying that at one point, you body can't go any faster, that it slows down from exhaustion. I've always thought that I would experience that at least but so far nothing. I heard a lot of shouting of "Yeah's!" and "You're in the lead, Lana!", and before I knew it, I had passed the finish line in first. I heard a bunch of shouts and cheers but all I was trying to do was catch my breath but I guess it must have run off too.

   Coach jogged to me and patted my shoulder, smiling widely at me. "You just broke the school record! First in all your events this season! You're remarkable!", and before I could protest, he had in a crushing hug. For a thin man, he sure was strong.

   "Thanks Coach, you taught me best." I told him, grinning. I meant that, he was such a dedicated coach, always caring for all of his athletes. I would truly miss him next year.

   Before he could respond, someone jumped on my back. And this person was screaming, "HOLY SHIT, YOU DID IT! YOU'RE THE BEST, OH MY GOD!" It was Diana and I laughed at her. She climbed off and hugged me so tight that I couldn't breathe.

   She let go of me and smiled mischievously at me and pointing behind her. I looked and I saw Beast coming towards us, a lot of people blatantly staring at his size and girls just oggling him like they wanted to fuck him right there on the indoor track.

   "Hey," I smiled, "I didn't realize you were coming today." He had been coming to my meets lately but his work schedule at the garage was complicated.

   "I came out of work earlier than I expected so I came here." He smiled down at me and something in my chest expanded. Oh, it was my heart. "You were like the road runner out there."

   I smiled coyly at him, "Well aren't ya just a sweetheart." I felt someone tap on my shoulder and I turned around. A women with a white polo shirt, on her breast pocket was an embroidered S. It seemed like a familiar logo but I couldn't pinpoint where I had seen it before. She has an iPad in one hand and I wonder how someone hasn't taken it yet. A college scout? I asked myself.

   She smiled kindly at me,"Lana Alessandroni?" I nodded at her smiling, wondering what college she came from.  "It's nice to meet you! I'm Sandy." She looks at her iPad and then back to me. "I've heard many impressive things about you such as breaking the school and state record by winning all of your events this season. And winning states since your sophomore year? You are certainly a treasure I've just discovered." She was a fast talker and I had to keep up.

      "Thank you so much. Where are you visiting from?" I ask politlely, hoping it would be somewhere far, far away.

   "Oh my gosh, I'm sorry. Here I was prattling on and I didn't even tell you." She tucks in a loose peice of blond hair behind her hair. "I'm visiting from Stanford University. In California."

   I slapped my hand around until it grabbed Beast's hand and squeezed hard. He squeezed right back, supporting me. "Wow, like as in all the way from California?" I knew I sounded like a complete idiot, but really, could you blame me? Who comes from beautiful California to dingy New Jersey?