Chapter Eight: Surprises

Beast's POV

As soon as I was done with the oil change, I could head home. Today had been a busy day, but that was great. It kept me busy and that is why I loved working with cars. It was almost like a puzzle. I had to put the right pieces together to fix it. My mom always complained that I was such a smart boy and I wasted my talents on being a mechanic but I did love it. It made decent money. I'd rather make little money and be happy than make a lot of money and be unhappy.

I always hoped that someday I would be able to open my own shop but I have to save up first. It would be a lot of money. And I had no clue what my future held for me. For right now, I would just lay back and watch my life unfold.

I locked up the garage and headed to my car. When I got in, I checked my phone to see if I got any text messaged from Lana. I didn't.

I frowned and cursed. I haven't heard from her since she left my apartment yesterday, looking like she saw a ghost. Or worse. But shit, I was worried. I thought that I should give her some space but as soon as I got home, I would check on her.

At first, I thought she remembered the night before. Yes I know, it's a shitty move but if I told her than things would be different between us and even though it's selfish of me, I don't want her to tell me that it didn't mean anything to her. Because, I did feel something. I never felt something before when I kissed some chick. But I guess Lana wasn't just some chick.

But when I reached for her after she glanced at her phone, and she flinched. That was like being punched in the face. She never had to be afraid of me. I would never hurt her.

I shouldn't be thinking things like that. I tried to get a hold of my thoughts before they took a hold of me.

I drove home, my mind at war with my thoughts. When I parked in the parking lot, I looked up to see if I could see any light on in her apartment. I saw a dim glow coming from a bedroom window. I eagerly climbed up the stairs and stopped at our floor. Before I knocked on the door, I hesitated. I didn't want to seem like I was going to jump her or anything. I had to keep a cool composure.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

At first, I thought that she wasn't going to answer the door. It took a couple of moments, but then I heard the chain being moved and the deadbolt unlocking. The door opened slowly.

She looked . . . tired. She was in sweats and her long hair was in a messy bun. There were dark circles under her eyes. Worried now consumed me.

She smiled timidly at me. "Hey, sorry I never texted you. I've been . . . busy." She rubber her eyes with her hands.

"It's fine but are you okay? You left yesterday pretty quickly." I spoke quietly, afraid that anything would spook her.

She opened the door all the way and signaled for me to come in. I walked inside and closed the door behind me. She sat on the couch and I sat next to her.

She looked at me and sighed. "Yeah I'm sorry about that, something came up with work."

Lana said it, but her leg kept shaking and her eyes wouldn't fully meet mine. So she was lying to me.

I wasn't mad. If anything, I was more worried. I knew Lana could take care of herself, but in the time I've known her, she's never been secretive. She's always spoken whatever was on her mind. And then some. It was refreshing and I liked it.

I stared at her for a moment, trying to think of a response. "It's pretty late, why are you still up? Isn't it past your bedtime?" I said, grinning at her.

She grinned back and this time it wasn't forced or timid. Timid is definitely not Lana.

"They're calling for a snow storm so no school tomorrow." She pointed to herself. "Comfy clothing equals happy snow day."