Hospital

Alice

'This can't be happening' I chanted in my mind running down the halls of Presbyterian hospital, I had just gotten news of Jared's shooting. "Alice slow down" Charity called after me, but I was too focused on Jared to give a shit. I arrived at the ER department and saw a short, elderly black woman behind the desk. "What room. in Jared Maverick in?" I asked impatiently "He's in surgery right now and can't take visitors" She didn't bother to look up from her computer, I could only assume I wasn't the first raving lunatic she encountered today. "I need to see him" I shot back "Ma'am when he is done we will call you back" She answered shooting e an annoyed look "come on Alice we have to wait" Kyle pulled me to a chair ,while Charity got me a cup of water. "This can't be happening" I was still in shock, "Hey, Jared is tough he will pull through" Kyle said "Yes so please relax, for the baby" Charity joined in, It wasn't until she mentioned our little one that I noticed my feet swelling in my Gucci flats. "How did this happen?" I asked myself, How had I let this happen to my family, "Mrs. Maverick I'm Doctor Nguyen, can we talk?" A tall Asian Doctor came up to me "How is he?" I asked ignoring his questions. "Why don't I take you to see him?" He lead me down the halls to Jared's room. My heart dropped when I saw the different machines and tubes hooked up to the love of my life.

"Jared" I felt tears prick my eyes as I walked up to the side of the bed to hold his hand. "He was shot through chest, right now these machines are helping him breath and keep up his heart rate, but without a transplant I'm afraid" The doctor didn't get a chance to finish "OH God" I cried harder "Is there no chance for recovery?" I prayed for some good news "Very slim" I was glad the doctor didn't sugar coat anything for me. "Can he hear me?" I asked, the doctor nodded in response"Can I have a moment with him?" I asked through my tears "Of Course" I waited to hear the click from the door before I completely broke down. "Oh Jared, baby I'm so sorry" I caressed his face, and felt a wave of exhaustion took over me. "I guess we weren't meant to be happy" I grabbed a chair and brought it close to the edge of the bed. "It's a girl, she has a strong heart beat" I pulled out my phone a played her heart beat for him "The doctors said she would most likely be born in August" I rubbed my stomach while holding his hand, "Why did I ever think we could be happy? From the very beginning our relationship was doomed but we kept trying praying that it would get better and it never does." my tears didn't stop but at least I wasn't as frantic as before.

CLICK. "Oh God" Kyle entered the room, with the same expression as mine. "Did the Doctor tell you everything?" I asked not taking my hand from Jared's. "Yeah, I would gladly give him mine but we aren't compatible" He sighed taking another chair and brining it closer "I'm so sorry" Charity rubbed my shoulders. "I'm going to find who did this and-" Kyle started "NO!" I yelled "no more revenge. This is where revenge got us? I'm done, I don't want whoever did this dead, I don't want them tortured. All I want is for my husband to wake up" I sobbed, I was done with vengeance and pain all I wanted was Jared to live.

Three months later....

I was still battling with the August heat, that had consumed my office. It was bad enough that I was carrying an extremely heavy baby girl in my stomach, now the air conditioner broke and I was sweating like crazy. "Marshall hold my calls" I said to my new assistant — since Jessie was now working as a Junior agent I had to replace his spot,—while drinking from the nearby water cooler, he was a sweet young white country boy from Lancaster. "Sure thing Ma'am, just to remind you the board from Maverick. Inc are waiting in your office." He explained "I know" I smiled coyly, the board at Maverick's fathers company had been trying to get in contact with me for weeks, I have been purposely avoiding them, letting them stew, Jared taught me if you make them wait they will come at you with a better deal than if you approached them immediately. Although truth be told I knew I was going to get the best deal anyway,I just liked being cruel to them especially after the horrible rumors they spread about me and Jared. "I've let them wait long enough" I said to myself before I wobbled into my office.