Chapter 8

Max POV

*******************************

"Ellie!" I call. "Ellie!" Suddenly, with a burst of dust Olivia speeds into camp.

I look at her; stunned.

Her face is bruised and bloody, chunks of her hair have been ripped out and she has major cuts all over her arms and legs.

"Woah." Kade says. "What the hell happened?" I ask. Olivia glares at me. "It's coming to camp right now."

Kade and I jump up in shock as Ellie walks up to us. She's slightly bruised but that's all.

Kade breaks the silence. "What the hell happened!" He yells.

Ellie and Olivia continue to glare at each other. "Nothing." Ellie snarls.

Lies. Blatant lies. The voice inside my head thinks. Kade seems to be thinking the same. "If you tell us, I'll heal BOTH of you." He suggests.

"I guess we're not getting healed then" Ellie and Olivia sigh.

I think, and suddenly it hits me. "Did you 2 have a bitch fight?" I ask laughing.

Olivia and Ellie look down sheepishly. "Yes."

Kade and I look at each other for a couple of seconds, then burst out laughing. "HAHAHAHAHA!!!!" We guffaw.

Ellie pulls the finger at us. "You 2 are complete assholes."

Olivia glares at Ellie. "Leave them alone Ellie, just because you have no friends."

Kade and I's eyes widen in shock; we then have hold Ellie back before she claws beautiful, stunning Olivia's eyes out.

Suddenly, a note drops from the sky. I pick it up. "Urgh," I sigh, "it's from that asshole Grayson."

"Mr Newmart?" Kade asks. I roll my eyes. "Duh Kade what other Newmart's do we know?" I say sarcastically.

"What does it say?" Asks Ellie. I tear open the envelope; and start reading:

Dear subjects A1, A2, A3 and A4
Sadly, there is some bad news. I wish to tell you in person, so at 7.46pm tonight, you need to light match number 31 in the campfire. This news is important to all of you, even the one I don't like. (That's you Max)
Yours sincerely
Mr Grayson Newmart

I roll my eyes. "Seriously, what does that prick want?" Kade shrugs. "I dunno." Ellie looks thoughtful. "Well, it must be something important." Olivia face palms herself. "Well duh Ellie!?! Are you really that stupid!"

I jump and stand between them. "Hey hey girls, no need for a another bitch fight." Ellie rolls her eyes. "Whatever wimp." OH NO SHE DIDN'T!!! I glare at Ellie, imagining her getting attacked by dogs. Suddenly she lets out a blood curdling scream, and starts shaking.

Wait. That could be my power of optical illusions. I immediately stop thinking about Ellie getting attacked by dogs, and she stops screaming.

I look away and smile to myself. Looks like MY power more powerful than all of Olivia's combined. That will be useful.

"Max! Max!" I hear Kade call. I snap out of my daydreams, still smiling at Olivia, Ellie and Kade.

"Oh, shit!" Kade yells worriedly. "He's smiling! Run!"

Kade bolts into the trees, leaving Olivia and Ellie behind. Realising that no-one is following him, Kade comes back. He walks up to me; tentatively touching my arm. "Max, bro, are you OK?" He carefully asks.

I smile. "Never better."

"Hey guys!" Olivia calls, snapping us out of our trance. "It's 7.40pm!"

"Oh shit!" Kade and I say in unison. "Let's get ready!"

We all haul sticks to the campfire, and at exactly 7.46 pm, we light match number 31. Then Grayson appears. "Sup Newmart," I say. "What's the haps?"

I laugh as Grayson shoots eye daggers at me. "I said to NOT use my first name." I smirk. "That's EXACTLY why I'm using it."

"Yeah, yeah enough with the bromance." Olivia drawls. "Why are you here?"

"Well ladies, gentlemen and asshole, they really is no easy way to tell you this." Grayson starts. "Get on with it!" Kade roars. "I know we are superheroes but we need help."

A brilliant idea suddenly strikes me. I can read minds.

The I glare at Grayson and immediately I'm propelled into his thoughts. "N N N NO!" I scream. "This can't be real!"

Grayson looks at me; a grim  look spreading over his usually smirking face.

"I'm afraid it is Max."

"Every last bit."

*******************************
Authors note:
Ooh the suspense! I wonder what Grayson has to tell them? It must be bad if Max broke down. BTW, does anyone else love the Grayson-Max hate relationship? I love it! TBH, I actually didn't plan for that hate relationship, but it just came to me as I was writing So there will be a new chapter on Thursday like usual. 👋.