Chapter 36

Natsu had to clench his fist so he didn't lose control of his feelings, he buried his face in his hands, nobody could bear to make eye contact with one another.

"Gray discovered that his father was a demon slayer and he possess the magic to destroy demons. Gray left for 3 months after what happened to Juvia to learn more about his demon slayer magic. He only returned to us about a month ago," Makarov said, he didn't want Natsu to find out this way but it was necessary for him to know. Gray didn't make eye contact with anyone, the truth was that he felt guilty for leaving, he had no room judge Natsu for leaving when he did the exact same thing.

Natsu nodded his head, he had to hold in his tears, he wasn't going to cry, he needed to keep his emotions in check. He needs to build the anger up and then unleash it in battle. "You blame me for Juvia's death?", his voice was directed to Gray.

Gray didn't bother to look up, he didn't know how he felt about Natsu, "I don't know" he muttered coldly. Natsu stood up with his looking straight at Gray. He turned towards the tent's exit and walk outside, everyone stared at Natsu with confusion as he exited the tent. They all thought it was to leave him alone at this point until they heard someone shout.

"OI, PERVERTED PROSTITUTE. COME OUT HERE AND FIGHT ME" Natsu screamed, Lucy and Erza exchanged a worried look while Gray instantly stood up and saw Natsu standing in the middle of the village with his hands engulfed with bright orange flamed.

"What the hell are you doing?" Gray shouted at him, the rage that he felt within him stared to boil to the surface. Everyone in the village, including the exceeds, stopped what they were doing to see what was going on.

"If you hate me so much than kill me, right here, right now" Natsu said simply, nobody could tell what was going on inside Natsu's mind.

"What the hell does that idiot think his doing?" Lucy muttered under her breath. She looked up at Erza who had a smile on her face.

"Natsu's reaching out" Erza stated simply, she knew these boys since they were kids. She knew exactly what Natsu was doing and why.

"Shut up you bastard, who the hell do you think you are? This is a village of peace, don't come in here and disrupt it" Gray shouted at Natsu who had a smug smile on his face.

"Talking to me as if I'm an enemy huh? Well, I've been gone a year, for all you know I could've been destroying peaceful villages like this one" Natsu sated with a smile that resemblance his father. Gray clenched his fist, that smile, that god damn smile was written over Lucifer's face when he killed her...his beloved.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP" Gray screamed as he launched at Natsu with his fist plastered in ice. Natsu smiled, he could see Gray coming from a mile away but he let his friend take the first hit.

Natsu smashed into a nearby tree from the punch, he stood up, everyone thought Natsu would have an angry expression on his face but instead he smiled. He wiped the blood that was dripping from his mouth, "Nice punch stripper, but that's not good enough" Natsu taunted as he instantly disappeared and reappeared right in front of Gray with his fist ready to punch Gray in the stomach.

"What the hell?" Some of the mages who were watching muttered.

"Was that teleportation magic?" Lucy asked to herself, Erza shook her head.

"No, Natsu's is just that fast" Erza muttered although everyone heard this and looked surprised.

Gray bent over to clutch his stomach, while bent over Natsu rose his fist and punched Gray across the face and then kicked him in the stomach again, which cause Gray to move a few feet back.

Black tattoos began to form onto Gray's body, he felt the overwhelming power of the darkness starting to consume him. Gray looked up at Natsu with blood thirsty eyes. Natsu took off the black robe that he was wearing and everyone took notice to the bandages that was on Natsu's arm.

Natsu and Gray both lunged at each other, they began exchanging powerful blows. To the exceeds and some of the mages who haven't been able to keep up with the fight, it looked like sparks of orange and blue. They couldn't tell who was hitting who, hell, they couldn't even see them anymore.

But to the mages who have been able to keep up with the fight notice that Natsu was letting Gray punch him, Natsu was going on the defence but they couldn't tell why.

"WHY?" Gray shouted as he continued to punch Natsu, "WHY DID YOU LEAVE?"

Natsu received a few punches to the stomach before he answered, "To protect you guys" he answered simply, this only pissed Gray even more, his punches and kicks started to become harder as the ice started to be tainted with a dot of black.

"PROTECT US? YOU DIDN'T PROTECT US. We lost our guild... we lost our town...WE LOST JUVIAAAAA!!!!" Gray screamed out of rage, time froze for a single second. Gray's arm that was covered in black tattoos began to form a black ice which turned into a sharp shard. Sharp enough to pierce through someone's chest. He rose his hand with the black shard and was ready to pierce Natsu's heart through his chest.

Natsu close his eyes, in the split second, he began contemplating, 'I should let him kill me', but just as the shard was about to pierce through Natsu's chest, he grabbed onto Gray's wrist and stared straight into his eyes.

Natsu's raging eyes burned with fire as Gray's eyes were as cold as ice. Everyone forgot to breath as they watched Gray try to kill his best friend.... former best friend

Gray's eyes never faltered until Natsu spoke, "I let you down...I let everyone down and I'm so sorry. I can't bring her back from the dead but I sure as hell can avenge her. I caused you and everyone in this guild so much pain and suffering and I promise you. I will let you kill me, but not now. Right now, I have to complete my mission, I must honour my promise that I made to you guys"

Gray's cold eyes began to waver as he looked at his best friend, he released the grip on the shard that was still pointed at Natsu's chest, just as Natsu released his tight grip on Gray's wrist. Natsu looked over to Happy, "Hey buddy, think you could do me a favour?", Natsu asked his little exceed friend who instantly flew over to Natsu.

Natsu smiled at him and then looked at Erza and Lucy, "I'll be back, don't follow me. Make sure that you take care of this idiot will ya?" Natsu asked with a smile, he turned to look at Gray, at first, Natsu didn't smile but then he shot Gray his infamous grin, "I think the ice finally froze your brain" Natsu muttered his insult sarcastically as he turned his back on his friends and village.

"Natsu.... where are you going?" Lucy asked with sheer sadness and fear that he will never come back to them. Instead of answering, Natsu continued to walk forward but he did one last thing before he left, he raised his hand in the air and did the infamous fairy tail sign.