Chapter 6

Chapter six:

I woke up and all I felt was pain. I opened my eyes but then regretted it immediately. I had to squint to get used to the light. I felt around and felt dirt, leaves and grass. I guessed I was on the ground. I tried to open my eyes again, but this time slower.

I squinted until my eyes got used to the light. I looked up and saw the tree I was originally in. I guess I had fell out of the tree from turning around. As I stood up, I felt a pain in my leg and looked down.

I had a small piece of branch stuck in my leg. It was sticking out of my jeans, I went to touch but a pain shot through my leg and all around my body. Damn nerves.

'Great. I now have an even more bruised back and a piece of wood in me.'

I tried to walk, it hurt but it was fine. I walked over to my fallen bag that I got from the old library and picked it up. I looked around to see if I could see where I was in the sunlight. Nothing, absolutely nothing but nature.

I started to walk or more like limp, towards a weird tree. It was different, it was hollow in the middle. It kind of looked familiar... I walked more closely and then remembered.

Flashback:

"Where are we going to go now? It looks like nothing is left. It is like everything is gone from this planet." Jason inquired.

"I don't know. We might just have- Wait guys come here. There's a tree that's hollow!" Thalia said interrupting herself.

"Ooh! Cool! I wanna see it!" Milia squealed as she ran right up to the tree and into the hollow part.

We saw this tree when we were unknowingly walking towards Alexandria. I walked North of the tree and to where I believed Alexandria would be. I limped and looked. I just loved how alluring the forest was, even though everything else went straight to hell. But nature managed to stay itself with an occasional carcass of a dead one or an animal.

I wandered in the same direction for around half an hour until I saw the rusting walls of Alexandria. I thought I would be excited to see the town again but instead, I was worried about the consequences.

I tried to walk towards Alexandria unnoticed but to no avail.

"Hey! The new girl is back!" A man with brown hair yelled up from the perch that they had attached to the wall.

The new man was probably an Alexandrian I hadn't met. I heard footsteps running towards the gate as I approached it. I got about 5 feet away from the metal gate when it opened to reveal Rick, Daryl, and Thalia who all had different emotions.

Rick looked skeptical about me and that he couldn't care less about me, Daryl looked as if he couldn't give a shit whether I was here or not and Thalia looked relieved but pissed.

"Why did you leave Alexandria?" Rick plainly asked.

"I, uh... needed somewhere to think. Just somewhere alone." I said losing my confidence, Rick and Daryl just had this aura of, 'I will beat your ass unless you are respectful.'

"Really? There are plenty of places to do this here." Rick stated back.

"Um. I just... I don't know." I said unsure.

"The only reason I am here is because your group seemed to be worried. Next time you leave and make me stay up to calm down your group, you're out. Now, I have more things to do." Rick said strictly and then walked away with Daryl.

I limped over to Thalia, squinting my eyes as the pain in my leg became sharper. Thalia just glanced at the tiny piece of wood stuck in my leg.

"Stupid. I don't care about how you got it, let's just get the thing out. I think there is an infirmary around here." Thalia said as she motioned me to walk with her.