Chapter 25

Chapter Twenty-Five:

Just as I reached the house that I resided in, shouting from Negan began to echo throughout the quiet secluded town. No one daring to speak as if it would spoil their plans to evacuate the town. I took one last look before running into my house. People were heading in two directions, one to the wall, that was the decoy. The other going to the sewer grate that sat off of the field. They loaded supplies that could fit down that small hole that lead to sewage tunnels.

I looked all around the main level of the house, only to find Molli and Kely hustling through the kitchen. They were grabbing whatever was in our cupboards and stuffing them into backpacks. I shot my head up the staircase soon after a loud thump hit the ground above. I ran up the stairs to see Jason hustling as well. He was going into everyones room and grabbing whatever meant something to someone or just supplies like clothes. He had this large bright electric blue bad with a slogan of I'm bright as hell.

Where the fuck did that come from. I want it.

I rushed into my room grabbing my already packed bag and stuffing whatever else I could fit into it. My pens and my journal. I grabbed Thalia's brush and her small blanket that she alway kept.

If she wasn't here to grab them, I will.

"Y/N get your ass downstairs right now. They're sending people saying it's time to go. Carl can't hold his attention for forever!" Jason howled through the house.

I quickly swept through the other rooms and the bathroom grabbing whatever was small and useful. I skipped a few stairs at a time as I hurried to the doorway where the three other teenagers stood. One had a face full of worry, Jason, the others just had faces of terror.

Had Molli and Kely ever been threatened by others? Like life and death threatening?

As the shouting increased, the four of us darted to the small grate that all civilians were supposed to escape out of. I looked behind me to see Kely tailing Molli as I was just behind Jason. All three of them had bags, misshapen with the pressure of rushing stuff into the bags. Jason's bag was nearly opening itself, ripping at the seams it seemed, with how much he had stuffed into the small Nike backpack. He also had a slightly larger duffel bag that he borrowed from Carl a few runs ago full. Molli and Kely had two bags each; one made of fabric and the other made of plastic.

The grate was piling with people with ages varying. Young went first, the the elderly that felt like leaving the town that's been their home for the past two and a half years. Then it was our turn.

"FUCK! I forgot my machete! I need to get it! It's important!" Kely almost screeched out for everyone to hear outside the gates.

"Forget it we have to go-" Jason started but couldn't finish as Kely wouldn't have this.

"No. I'm going to go get it. Don't wait!" Kely started to run and didn't make it far as I stopped her.

"You get down there, I'll get it. It has pink tape right? I need to get my own weapons as well. Jason take her down with you, I'll see you in a bit." I walked up to Jason giving him the longest hug that I could.

You can never tell when it's the last you'll see someone or they'll see you. I guess that's what this world has brought the human race to finally realize; nothing is permanent, nothing ever lasts. Not even what you consider family lasts. Not even the bonds you make. They'll just wither and break.

Poetic I know.

I gave Molli a small side hug and Kely a smile as I ran to the pantry. I passed empty houses that I never got see inside of and felt a tinge of pain for those having to just leave. I made it to the small building and hurried inside. There wasn't much food left, if any at all, and the weapon intake has definitely been diminished in its size.