One

2003

Ringggggggggg...

Ruby rolled over on her side and quickly slapped her alarm clock. She had literally just fallen asleep, and it was already time to get up for school.

If this was any other day, Ruby would have tossed the covers back over her head and slept down to the last millisecond, not today though.

Today was the last day! The beginning of a new era, her last day of tenth grade. Which meant she was one step closer to the holy grail, graduating high school.

Ruby stayed up all night prepping for this moment. She picked out everything last night and even made sure to match her underwear and socks with her shirt. Never knew what type of slip-ups may lead to someone seeing them.

Sighing heavily, Ruby sat up in bed and stretched. She yawned and found the strength to stand up. The room door flew open causing her to jump.

"I ain't mean to scare you," Landon spoke eyeing Ruby up and down. She felt disgusted at his roaming eyes since she was only in a tank top and panties. "Your moms told me to make sure you were up for school," he stated licking his lips.

Landon was Ruby's mom April's boyfriend if that's what you would call him.

The two had to have the most dysfunctional situation Ruby had ever seen.

One minute they were together, the next they were screaming and fighting, then April would have some new nigga in the house. Somehow, Landon always made his way back though.

"I'm up, you can go now," Ruby stated growing uncomfortable under his gaze.

"Bet," Landon spoke with a smirk before leaving out and closing the door. Ruby ran over and locked her door quickly.

April wasn't a bad mom, she just had her ways. It was clear that she was searching for herself in all the different men she brought around after the passing of Rueben.

Ruby's dad Rueben was gunned down in a blotched robbery right in front of both she and her mom when she was eight years old.

April took Rueben's death really hard. So hard, that it seemed as if the roles were reversed and a young Ruby had to step up to the plate and take care of her mom. There were days Ruby would come home and have to make soup for a hungover April.

Back then, she was using the microwave, but by the time she was eleven, Ruby was cooking full course meals.

Sighing heavily, Ruby ran her fingers through her curly hair. Given that she had a good grain, Ruby had the option of wearing her mane curly or straightening it out. Of course, she opted for her natural curls today.

Knock knock

"Yeah," Ruby huffed at the sound of someone knocking at her door. Landon had already rubbed her the wrong way, the last thing she needed was him coming back to be more of a creep.

"Open the door, Ruby! Heck you lock it for," April fussed twisting the knob. Ruby rolled her eyes and unlocked the door.

"What's up ma?" Ruby asked looking up at a tired looking April. Clad in only Landon's t-shirt, April stepped inside and took a seat on Ruby's bed.

"I may need you to go talk to Mrs. Walter's for me today," April sighed looking down at her feet.

Ruby smacked her lips, "Again ma?! Are you serious? What have you been doing?" She fussed. This was the shit she hated about her mother, she was so irresponsible.

Mrs. Walter's was Ruby and April's, landlord. She was a nice old woman and looked out for them whenever April would mess up the rent, like now.

"Don't do that Ru, don't yell at me. Especially with the night I've had," April stated rubbing her temples.