Thirteen

"Fuck man!" Dee spat startling Ruby from her sleep. Sitting up in bed she gathered herself just enough to make it to the den.

"What's going on?" Ruby asked watching Dee shuffle through a folder. He quickly closed and tucked it away when Ruby made her presence known.

Stress was evident on Demetrius's face as he turned to face Ruby. Putting on a phony smile he perked up.

"I'm cool, just some bullshit with the bank. How'd you sleep?" Dee asked changing the subject. Ruby walked over to the couch and took a seat. She knew Demetrius well enough to know when he was lying.

"I was sleeping well until your little fit. What's really going on with you?" Ruby asked tucking a foot under her butt.

Dee had been distant lately. Even though he and Ruby were no longer intimate, she still cared about him a great deal. He was gracious enough to allow Ruby to stay in his home since she was afraid of sleeping alone since the death of Cameron.

"I'm cool Ru. What about you? You've been staying up a lot later these days."

Ruby pursed her lips. It was true, she hadn't been sleeping much. Visions of Cameron often invaded her thoughts at night. All she could think of was how upset he probably was knowing what she had going on behind his back.

She never got the chance to apologize or accept his proposal for that matter. Ruby was feeling guilty. Her heart was so heavy she could hardly sleep, being around Demetrius only made her feel worse. What she couldn't do was be around her mom and Don without feeling extra weird. So Demetrius's place was her only option.

"I'm... I'm fine. It's just hard to sleep in strange places. I'll be good though, you hungry?" Ruby asked jumping up from the couch not wanting to get into that conversation. Of course, Dee wasn't having that.

"Slow down," Dee voiced pulling Ruby back. "What do you mean strange place? You're here with me Ru. I ain't no stranger."

"That's not what I meant. I'm alright though. Want me to take something down to cook or..."

Dee sighed, he had never known for Ruby to be this difficult. "Yeah man, you can whip something up."

Ruby smiled small and made her way into the kitchen. The last thing she wanted to do was discuss how she was feeling about Cam with Demetrius. She had definitely done enough when it came to him.
                    _________________
"Goddamn, that shit was good as shit!" Bear stated pushing his empty plate away from him.

Ruby prepared Baked Salmon that was seasoned to perfection, chopped red potatoes, and grilled asparagus before she went off to a house call. Dee invited Bear over to share some info with him, and of course, he had to eat.

"Yeah, Ru be doing her thing," Dee chuckled at the sight of Bear rubbing his stomach.

"Nigga, what's up with that anyway? Fuck you waiting on to wife shorty up? A nigga will be happy to snatch that from you. She fine and can throw down in the kitchen, your ass is trippin'."

"Ain't nothing," Dee sighed walking over to a chest in the corner of his den. Reaching in he pulled out a Manilla folder and dropped it on the table in front of Bear.

"Fuck is this?" Bear asked opening the folder. He shifted through the paperwork and looked up at Dee. "What you showing me this for?"

Dee grabbed himself and Bear a beer before taking a seat at the table. He took a swig of his drink before speaking.

"That nigga I had you do... His family's getting the case opened back up. Some shit about closure," Dee sighed.

"Okay and? You know I covered all my tracks. I hope you are not bent outta shape behind that shit. We good nigga. I made the shit look like a robbery just as you asked."