Five

December 2007

"Why are you sitting around here moping around? I know you're not stunting Demetrius and Nia?" April asked Ruby as she sat around the house sulking.

It was the beginning of winter break and Ruby returned home so she could spend the holidays with her family. This was the one time of year that she felt her best. There was always laughter, love, and fun... But this time she was in a funk that she just couldn't shake.

This was the first time in years that Ruby and Demetrius wouldn't be spending every single day together up until Christmas day.

They were acting more like strangers than best friends these days. Ruby and Dee would see one another in passing and she'd get nothing more than a head nod from him.

On top of that, since Khalil came down to meet Ruby's family during Thanksgiving break, he felt like it was only right that they spent Christmas in Kentucky with his family.

Ruby didn't want to come off as selfish, but she didn't want to spend the holidays away from her mom. They were all each other had for so long. Although April and Ruby's relationship was weird, that didn't take away from the love she had for her mom.

This time of year was also really tough for Demetrius. He and Ruby would always go to his grandma's gravesite and take her gifts. Ruby could distinctly remember the first time Dee took her to meet his grandma, it was during the first year of their friendship around this same time.

"Where are you taking me? You know I hate surprises," Ruby sighed as Dee drove without telling her where they were going.

"Chill, you're acting like you don't trust me. I got someone I want you to meet," Dee sighed tired of Ruby's line of questioning.

She could never just go with the flow. The girl was just flat out impatient.

"You're taking me to meet some chick?" Ruby asked frowning up. Dee smirked at the hint of Jealousy in her voice. Instead of answering he turned the volume on the radio up a little.

Taking the hint Ruby fell back in her seat and just went with the flow. It wasn't until they pulled up to Palmetto Grove Cemetery that Ruby decided to speak again.

"Demetrius," she started not knowing what was going on. Knowing Dee, he always had some crazy shit up his sleeve.

"Come on," Dee stated cutting the car off. Ruby did as she was told, but not before locking her fingers inside Dee's. She hated cemeteries. The thought of stepping over the bodies really freaked her out.

The two of them walked hand in hand before they​ stopped in front of a beautifully crafted headstone. There was an angel with huge wings with her head bowed in prayer. She was overlooking an inscription that read: Louise Grimes. Loving Mother, Grandmother, and Friend.

Ruby tensed up once she noticed who Dee wanted her to meet.

"Hey grams, I brought someone with me today. It's not daddy, but the big-headed girl I was telling you about the last time I came," Dee stated while cleaning some leaves off the grave.

"Really?" Ruby asked slapping Dee in the back. "It's nice to meet you grams," she added.

"Told you she was crazy Grams," Dee laughed. "I just had to come to see you today. I brought Ruby along because she's special to me. Real headstrong and stubborn reminds me so much of you. Pops doing ok, he's slowly getting it together, but you know how that goes." Dee sighed getting choked up.

Ruby rubbed his back in understanding before grabbing ahold of his hand for support.

"I miss you so much sweet lady," Dee stated letting a tear fall from his eye. He never fathomed life without his grandmother, he always prayed she'd live forever. "I know you see what I'm out here doing, and I know you're not proud of it. I can see you now having a shouting match with God about what to do about my soul..." Dee chuckled shaking his head and wiping away tears.