Eight

"What is this, like what are we doing?" Ruby asked rolling over on her side to face Dee. The two of them had been sexing on a regular basis whenever she was in town, but there was still no title on whatever it was they had.

Dee groaned rolling his eyes up towards the ceiling. He couldn't understand why Ruby wouldn't just live in the moment.

"What you mean Ru?"

"Exactly what I asked Demetrius!" Ruby shouted sitting up and pulling the sheet over her bare chest."What is this? I mean... I come home, we wine, dine, and have sex... Yet I still can't introduce you as my man. What's the issue?"

"There ain't no issue Ru! I just don't understand why you gotta worry about titles and shit, we're good! What difference does it make what we call it?" Dee groaned slipping his boxer briefs on and rolling out of bed.

Ruby hopped up right along with him. She was tired of him running away whenever​ she mentioned a relationship.

"It makes a lot of fucking difference Demetrius! You can walk around holding my hand, kissing me and all that shit, but I can't be your woman? I mean we're damn near in a relationship anyhow!" Ruby snapped.

"SO WHAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM THEN?!" Dee yelled. "You just said it yourself, we do relationship shit, what difference would me calling you my girl make?"

Ruby frowned up at Dee. He had obviously lost his fucking mind yelling at her like that.

"I don't want to be thirty still just being fuck friends Demetrius! That's the fucking difference! I want commitment, marriage, kids... What's the point of doing all of this if we don't know what we're doing it for?" Ruby asked. She needed to know where his head was at.

It's been years, where's the commitment. It seemed like everyone else's relationship was evolving, but she was stuck in limbo.

Dee pulled at his dreads and eyed Ruby. He sighed and shrugged.

"That's not something I want Ru. I like shit how it is. In my mind, what's understood doesn't have to be explained. I love you, always have... Probably always will, but that shit ain't in the cards for me. I don't look that far into the future, and I'm cool living day by day."

Tears welled up in Ruby's eyes. She was fighting a losing battle. What was the point in fighting if she was in the ring alone. Truthfully, she was tired.

"So what you're telling me is that I'm basically wasting my time with this entire situation?" Ruby asked with her voice cracking.

"I mean, you're saying that, not me." Dee added.

"Right," Ruby chuckled lightly. She was more upset with herself than she was with Dee. "You know what Dee, I'm done with it. I can't make you love me, and quite frankly, I'm tired of fucking trying. From here on out if you wanna be friends, fine! But we won't be fucking like we're lovers. And if you don't wanna be friends, that's cool too. I'm done!" She stated quickly putting her clothes on.

Dee just watched Ruby gather her things up. Sadly, this wasn't the first time they'd been through this. Ruby would pressure him about a relationship, get mad at his reply, then storm out. It was nothing new. She'd be alright in a few days.

Once she gathered all of her things, Ruby left without bothering to say goodbye. She was beyond fed up. At this point all she could do was try her hardest to get Demetrius out of her system.

That was two years ago. Ruby stayed true to her word and kept things strictly platonic. She was no longer rushing home just to see him, accepting late night phone calls because he needed to talk, or handling bills that he neglected.