Chapter 1: Scared 👻

1986,

I plundered into the drawer, rifling through the neat files of paper. Mr. Arnoldo's plaque sat on the desk in front of me, the bold letters of his name staring back at me. Thoughts ran through my mind and voices started crying in my head. Will I be caught? Will they find me?

My walkie-talkie went off. I pressed my ear against the machine to hear the message coming through. I jumped when a sharp scratching noise sounded from behind my back, like nails on a chalkboard. I shot myself under the wooden desk, spun around to face the door, and was ready for an attack. My walkie-talkie went off again. As quick as I could be, I turned down the volume so my hiding spot would not be given away.

Another scratching sound came from the hallway. It echoed through the empty classroom and this time was louder. The walk-in-talkie went off, I turned the volume back up. It was my friend, Antonia, "Get out NOW" she yelled! My heart leapt from my chest. Was she coming? It Couldn't be! Will they find us? Thousands of questions filled my mind until I heard another scratching sound. This time I guaranteed myself I was not alone. A chill crept down my spine. The hairs on the back of my neck stuck upwards. My heart pounds against my chest, beating faster and faster. I feel like I'm seconds away from bursting into a fit of screams. The door starts to open...