Chapter 8: Home 🏠

We used to live in a big mansion all to my immediate family of five, (mom, dad, brother and sister) until there was a fire and everything was lost. We moved into the Rose family mansion just to wait for our new house to be built. But a few years past and my dad had to go on business trips and had no time to finish the house. My mom was working in New York because she is a movie producer. My parents thought it would be best for us to stay in Bluntwood until we graduated. I didn't agree, I wanted to move as far away as possible from Bluntwood and the Rose family.

The wind started to howl and the clouds drew into the hasty sky. The rain grew heavy and the daylight dimmed to grey. The air was moist and each time it entered my mouth dew stuck to my palate.

I was startled by the door. Someone was knocking on it. I placed Rosey in the closet and leapt for the door. Nancy the maid stood chilling in wet clothing in the door frame. She had frizzy hair that peeked out of a mauve sunhat. She was twenty six but her wrinkly worn face made her look older. She was my height but usually wore her hair in a high pony on the peak of her head so she could look taller. She wore a jean jacket and black cargo pants. "White, you are needed to gather flashlights. You and Hasley are on kid duty. Your uncle Nick says there is going to be an power outage and a storm tonight" she told me. "Great" I sarcastically scowled.

I wandered down the stairs from Blue's room. Her room was the only one on the floor.  She normally was not here, so this floor of the mansion was usually pitch black. The dark always scared me away from coming up here, but Blue was never afraid. "I prefer the dark because it is a time of mystery" she always said.

I reached the third floor where my room was, along with several other rooms including a library. I skipped past my room reaching the second flight of stairs. Once I was at ground level I noticed a bundle of children in the kitchen sipping hot chocolate and eating eggo's. "Hurry up White we need flashlights incase the power goes out", they screeched.

The flashlights were stored in the basement, which no one would ever step foot in. The basement was a creepy rustic room with cob webs and old items scattered about. Rumours say that beneath it was a cellar that no one has gone in since 1917 when the house was constructed. In 1954, the mansion was re-built over top of its original location, the cellar still in its place.