Chapter 17: Finding Waldo 🔦

"So are we just going to investigate every person then"? Sasha asked miserably. I gave a shy nod. "We should probably part ways and each investigate different people" Lianetta noted. That was probably the smartest thing she ever said! "Um yeah... sounds good!", I said. I took out a notepad and scribbled down each of our names. "So there are 9 suspects, you guys can each have two, and I will take three.", I told them. They all nodded then focused their attention on the notepad. I wrote down three names under mine. Daryl, Tom & Dominic. Then gave each of my friends two. "Here you go", I handed each of them a sticky note with their targeted suspects on it. "Make notes!", I reminded them.

Our table members all split up, except for myself, I was busy studying the three Saltzer boys who still munched away. I glared at them from behind my large stack of textbooks. Daryl now had his face inside a chemistry book, one that I was reminded I had to go over after school. Tom was playing on his gameboy and Dominic was looking at something. Dominic angrily used a black crayon and scribbled across the page. I wrote this all down, even though it really means nothing. Although I wanted to get a closer look at his drawing.

I searched their direction for someone I knew, that I could talk to. At the table behind the three boys, was the jock table, where Elton's friends were. I could always pretend to talk to them... I walked in their direction as I glanced over Dominic's shoulder. I gasped. Why was he drawing that? I quickly turned around to face the jock table.

"Hello Fellas, do you know if Elton has track and field after school?", I asked. They all turned to look my direction. One guy who had on a Yankees baseball cap was the first to talk. "Darling, it isn't track and field season", he said  as he repositioned his hat. "Why do you want to know?", a shorter scrawnier one said. "Ummmm, just seeing if he can drive me home after school.", I lied. "Well I can", one said looking up from his plate of fries. "Actually, never mind, I think I can get Sasha to.", I responded. "Ok, but if you need a ride ever, I can be your guy", the fries guy remarked. I turned around and had one last glance at the drawing.

Could Dominic be the Heartstone we are after? I replayed the image of his drawing over again in my mind. He couldn't be, could he?

I met Sasha in the library in between period 3&4. She had just come from art class and had paint on her arms, hair and clothing. "What hit you? The paint wizard?", I asked. She shook her head. "Today was outdoor paint day. It was windy", she said as she rolled up her sleeves of her sweater.

"How is the investigation going?", I asked. "Well Americ Heartstone is as weird as usual and Terrance Hedley is on a field trip. So not too well. How about you?" She responded. "The brothers are usual high school students other than Dominic. He drew something very strange." I said. Sasha looked puzzled, "drew something as in a picture?". I nodded. "Of what?" She asked. "I will show you", I said pulling out a notebook and pen. I started to sketch narrow branches and odd lines until a shape formed. Sahsa looked at the image for a moment.

"It looks like a river or tree roots", she said. I looked at it again. I then pictured the original. There was a red marker that was the outline of the branches and then the black crayon randomly scribbled about. But the thing that startled me was the small print in the top right corner. I faintly remember seeing the initials B.R. Blue Rose. "Should I question him?", I asked her. "Why not.", she responded. Sasha veered her head to left to see Dominic enter the library. "He is here", she whispered.

He sat down at a desk. Dominic wore a yellow T-shirt that was tucked into jeans. He had longer hair that dropped over his circular glasses. He had a thin nose and a small dimple on his chin. He looked my direction and noticed I was looking at him. I looked away and pretended to view books along the shelf. Moby Dick, Goldilocks, Nancy Drew... ooops I was in the kids section.

Dominic moves his glance towards Sasha who was also looking at him. I decided to break the awkwardness by approaching him. He looked up from his book, slightly startled. "Hey Domino", I said accidentally referring to his childhood nickname. "Nobody calls me that anymore.", he pushed up his glasses. "What rings you of all people to the library?", he snarled. "I just have a question for you.", I asked. He looked shocked. "Hey if you want to know where you sister is, I have no clue. Leave me out of this.", he snapped. "I wasn't going to ask- how do you know she is missing?", I questioned.

"Well I borrowed her math textbook a while ago and inside I found this", he said. He pulled out the strange drawing I had seen earlier.