Chapter 18: Branches 🌲

"What is it", I asked. He looked closer and traced his hand along the branches. "Well I did some digging, and figured out it was a town map. A bad drawing of one if I have ever seen one.", he smirked. "Oh and as for your sister, she contacted me a week and a half ago saying she was in trouble. She has not been at school, so I assume whatever she was scared of got to her.", he became serious. "What - or who was she scared of"?, Sasha piped in.

Dominic shrugged. "I don't know. Why don't you ask Milos. She seemed to be pretty cozy with him lately.". Sasha's eyes narrowed. "Milos, my brother? Her friend?", Sasha said. Dom nodded. "May I take this?", I said pointing to the drawing. "Go ahead.", Dom gestured.

I took off with the drawing. So if Dom didn't draw it, who did? Why was he drawing over it with black crayon in the lunch room? Was he lying? I returned to class.

Later that day I found myself lying in bed. It was around five and my relatives were making chatter downstairs. Apparently it was family night. A night that occurred every other month. To be filled with laughter, board games and bbq fun. At least the adults thought it was fun. The whole mansion and relatives from afar would gather. Aunt Jaime was busy cooking hot dogs on the grill outside, while Krista filled the kiddie pool. My head hurt. This was not my ideal night.

For once in my life I wished that Blue was here. All the times I wanted here to not bother me, I kinda wish she could now. I missed her.

I got on a nice blouse, one to please the family, and tied my hair into two braids with blue scrunchies on each tip. I then made my way to the kitchen. The Steve triplets were tackling each other on the floor as the mid 30s generation of Rose's watched football on the tv.  I got many hugs from Rose's that I don't even know. "Oh hi, remember me? Uncle Gary? The one who use to tuck you in?", "Oh how you look like your mother!", "You grew! Last time I saw you, you were yay high". The usual.

I crouched in a corner hoping to not be bothered. An hour later the games began. The majority of the family had arrived. I gathered to my feet and grabbed some food from the buffet area. Some chicken wings, tater tots... Suddenly the doorbell rang. "I will get it"! I yelled. I darted to the door. Another relative probably. I was not wrong, but I was surprised.

In front of me stood a tall thin man. His dark black hair was swept back. He had a clean shaved face. He was dressed a little too fancy for this party. He wore a black dress shirt with matching pants and brown leather shoes. He greeted me with a smile.

Behind him was a lady. She was quite smaller than the man. She had rosy cheeks, long curly blond hair and wore a tight black dress.

"Mom, Dad?", I said in shock.