Chapter 26

"Just the two of us

We can make it if we try"

Chapter 26

I have been laying on the bed watching over Scarlett as she slept. This is the way it was supposed to be right. Just the two of us. Like that Will Smith song, only Scar wasn't my son, and I wasn't her father, nor do we have any family relation. We were just close. Like we knew each other, better then we knew ourselves, that's got to count for something right? We completed each other. She was everything I wasn't and I was everything that she wasn't. Just the two of us, we can make it if we try. Like had had been for all these years. No Kylie, yet she did seem to be a part of our group but not an extremely huge part, like Scar and I could do without her. And we did, perfectly. How had that gone on, being pulled away from us? Scarlett and Matt.

I ran my hands through her hair, feeling content. She was snuggled closer to me, and then she winced in pain, scrunching her face up.

Which made me a whole new load of anger fill me again.

Seriously, I couldn't wait to get my hands on Cole.

I slipped out of Scarlett's grasp carefully not to wake her, and made my way to the kitchen. I was starving and I needed coffee in my system.

I decided to make something for us to eat, although I could barely cook, so I settled for making some scrambled eggs and toast.

I got to cooking and I sipped coffee while watching the egg.

I heard a soft shy voice, "Hey." and I turned around to see Scar looking very vulnerable, in an oversized mans t-shirt; it was obvious that the shirt was Coles. I cursed under my breath and then took the pan off the stove. Putting eggs in a plate and a slice of toast on the side and put it in front of Scar who was now seated on a bar stool in front of the counter that separated the kitchen from the dining room, looking at me confused.

"Thanks" she said quietly and began eating, without another word.

I took a plate and got something for myself to eat. I put the kettle back on, making two cups of coffee, one for Scar and one for myself, even though I had just had a cup. Gosh, I loved coffee.

I took the empty seat next to Scar and we ate silently. All that was heard was our forks against the plat and an occasional sip of coffee.

I wanted to talk to her, really I did. But I didn't want to be like, 'So Scar, what the fuck has been happening and why didn't you trust me enough to tell me? Did you like getting beaten? Is that why?' no I couldn't just ask so bluntly. I had to wait, you know for her to talk to me about it. To make the first move, how can I just wait for her to say something on the other hand, anything, because she doesn't look like she wants to talk?

The amount of injuries she has, I'm sure she shouldn't be up and about right now. She should be resting and trying to recover; instead she was clearing up the table and tidying up the kitchen

"Scar." I said eventually, "Leave the kitchen, I'll tidy it up. Why don't you go take a shower and then I can take you to the doctor afterwards." I said.

Her eyes went big, and she stared at me with a shocked expression, "I... I ca-.. I can't go to the doctor Matt." she muttered.

I looked at her as if she was mad, "Why the hell not?"I asked in a low voice.

"They'd ask too many questions. Look all I need is a few days to recover; I have plenty of pain killers." She finished.

"Plenty of pain killers? I asked, she was really just unbelievable, she needed medical care.