01

"The results of the tryouts are up!" A student shoved passed me. I felt embarrassed that I'd even tried out. I was only a first year and I had never played a sport in my entire life. I waited my turn to look at the sheet of paper. To my surprise, my name was on the list, but it was the only name under 'substitutes.'

"Are you the new kid?"

I jumped, "Uh, sorry, yes, that's me. I'm Kim Jongdae, my nickname is Chen because it means the morning in Chinese and my mom said I was always energetic in the mornings when I was little!" I bowed a few times and wondered why I had said so much to him.

"You're still way too energized for the morning," The boy smiled, "I'm Kim Junmyeon, I'm the team captain. My nickname is Suho, I'm not really sure what it's supposed to mean though," He chuckled.

"S-Suho-hyung? Am I allowed to call you Suho-hyung? Or should it be Junmyeom-hyung?"

"Suho-hyung is fine. Relax a bit, won't you? If you're too nervous at practice a ball will hit you in the face."

"For real?"

"Yep, if you're not paying attention."

"Oh!" My eyes widened, "I'll make sure I pay attention!"

"Good, see you later."

I went through my entire day nervously, but I was also excited, but by the end of the day when I was the last one in the locker room, I felt like an outcast.

"Do you need any help?" Suho peeked his head in the locker room, he must have noticed I was slow getting out.

"I'm just nervous."

"You'll be okay," Suho gave me a reassuring smile, "Let's go. I'll help you warm up."

I knew how to catch the ball, but I never could. After we played catch, or in my case dodgeball, for about ten minutes everyone else filed into the dugout. I stood with Suho on the outside of the dugout.

"I'd like you guys to meet Jongdae. You can call him Chen, he's the newest member of our team. He's never played before so please treat him kindly. Come introduce yourselves."

"I'm Chanyeol," The first guy said, and he was hyper, like really hyper, "I play center field, which you might think is a lame position, but trust me once you see me out there you'll think it's the coolest. I've got a jump like no other and I'm super fast."

The next guy, "My name is Kyungsoo. I play shortstop. Don't think it's because I'm short though."

"Yixing or Lay. Catcher," He seemed to be the quietest but he had a sweet smile and a dimple.

"I'm Baekhyun! I play first base."

"Sehun, right field. I'm a first year too, but I played on this team last year."

"Jongin or Kai. I play on third base."

"My name is Chonglin. I play left field. I'm actually an exchange student from China!" This guy seemed like a total nut case.

"Kim Minseok. Xiumin. Pitcher."

"Nice to meet everyone," I bowed once more. Everyone meandered back onto the field, "What position do you play, Suho-hyung."

"The only one left, of course, second base," He smiled, "We'll split into teams of five. You can be on my team with Kyungsoo, Kai, and Lay."

I kind of hoped that everyone batting in front of me got out so I wouldn't have to bat. Xiumin had a fast pitch, it looked scary. I watched baseball on tv, a lot. I loved it, but being in the actual game was so scary. The coach didn't show up until later, he seemed lazy and like he just relied on Suho to take care of everything.