04

"The bus's tire popped," Said Sehun, "They can't afford a new one."

"But he has to take so many kids home right after school," Baekhyun was lost in thought, "Also they always go out of their way to come back for the kids who are in sports."

"We should do a fundraiser or something," Sehun raised his index finger, "We could do fundraisers as a baseball team."

Xiumin's sister had gotten lost in the herd of other students walking to school, "What was in that envelope Yoona gave you yesterday?" He asked. I really didn't think he saw it, but I was guessing he saw everything like he had eyes in the back of his head.

"A letter."

"What did it say?"

"It said she's happy you and I are friends and that she thinks I'm cute. Don't worry, though I wasn't going to try anything."

"Good, I wouldn't let you. We aren't friends anyway."

"Okay."

"D-did you read my letter?" Yoona asked me at lunch.

"I did," I paused, "I'm sorry but I can't be your boyfriend."

"How come? Is it because my brother scares you?"

"No, it's because I respect your brother."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Okay, for example, if you and I were in a relationship and it didn't work out it might make things awkward between Xiumin and I. Also you're his little sister and to show him respect I shouldn't be your boyfriend," I nodded.

"Oh, I see," She frowned, "Well, we can still be friends!" She ran off to sit with her friends.

"Did you just reject Xiumin's little sister?" Kai sat down next to me.

"Yeah what the heck dude?" Chanyeol said, "You know she's like super popular, right?"

"No, I didn't know. I didn't really care to be honest."

"You really do respect Xiumin-hyung, don't you?" Kyungsoo opened his lunch box.

"I think he's really admirable. Even if my brother thinks he's psycho."

"It's not just your brother," Sehun said, taking a sip of his juice box.

"You guys don't think that, right?"

"Eh, well," Kai hesitated, "It's true he's scary. I don't think he's psycho though. It is strange though," He rubbed his chin, "It seems like you're the only one he's maybe close to."

"What do you mean, Jongin?"

"It seems like he's actually taken a liking to you."

"He says he doesn't like me," I laughed nervously.

"No, Kai is right," Sehun said, "It's really strange. He stayed after practice to help you and you didn't even ask. He would've hit any of us if we asked."

"I have a theory," Chanyeol leaned in close, "Xiumin-hyung wants to make Chen a pitcher because he graduates this year."

"That's crazy, there's no way he'd want me to pitch."

"Is it really that crazy?" Sehun grinned and raised an eyebrow, "You're the only one on the team that doesn't have a position. So, why not make you a pitcher?"

"Lay can pitch!" I protested.

"Lay can pitch," Kai joined the crowd of devilish grins, "But, Lay is a catcher, not a pitcher. He only pitches for scrimmages."

"Our new star pitcher, Kim Jongdae, Chen," Kyungsoo said.

~~~

During warm-up, I got hit with the ball a lot, but not as much as I did the day before. Coach actually showed up at practice on time today.

"Okay, so our first game is next week," He lit a cigarette, "So, we need to be working hard. We need to make sure everything is fresh in our minds. So, let's do a run through of everything until then, batting, fly balls, grounders, sliding, everything."

We fit as much as we could into our practice. Suho stayed after with us.

"Chen, throw some pitches for me," Xiumin tossed me the ball before grabbing his bat.

"Me? But I don't know how to pitch."

"Right into Suho's glove, that's how," He stepped up to bat. Too high, too low, too left, too right, but how to get it in the center?

"Minseok-oppa!" It was Yoona again, "Mom says she needs your help to fix the car!" I liked the idea of Xiumin covered in oil fixing cars in a wife beater tank top. I shook the thought out of my head.

He lowered his bat, "I better go. Stay longer, Chen," Him and Yoona ran off in a rush.

"I don't get it, Suho-hyung."

"Don't get what?"

"Why he's helping me so much or why he made me pitch. Everyone is saying he wants me to be the pitcher after he graduates."

"I wouldn't doubt it."

"Why me though? I'm the worse on the team."

"Xiumin likes to challenge himself. He's trying to prove to himself that he's really a good baseball player, he'll prove that to himself when somebody with no experience like you is as good as him," Suho lifted up the catchers mask and smiled, "I'm guessing that his goal is that by the time Spring of 1994 rolls around, he's created a pitcher even better than he is."

"Wow, is that even possible."

"I guess we'll find out," He put the mask back over his face and tossed me the ball, "Throw a few more."

I threw a few more, not any better than what I'd thrown before then Suho and I went our separate ways back home.

"Mom, guess what!"

"What is it, Chen?"

"Next year I'm going to be a pitcher!" I said excitedly.

"That's hilarious, really, Jongdae," My brother snorted.

"Hush, Jongdeok, your brother is working extra hard."

"You just wait. I'll be the pitcher and you won't even be in college."

"Chen, you be nice too," My Mom disappeared into the other room.

"I'm so going to go to college," He retorted, "I'll have tons of babes too, unlike you who rejects the most popular girl in your class because you're a homo!" He dragged out the last 'o' in homo.

"Stop calling me that! I rejected her because I respect Xiumin."

"You respect sucking his dick," He muttered under his breath.

I let out an extra long sigh, "Mom! Jongdeok is saying bad words! He's calling me a homosexual again!"

"Real mature, Jongdae. Tattling on me?" Jongdeok rolled his eyes and left the room.

My dad came through the door, "This note was on the door for you," He handed me a sticky note.

Chen,
Meet me on the field tomorrow morning. Seven AM.
-X