The Birth|1

Amisi
Houston, Texas

The sound of the music bumpin' matched the thumping of my heart

The sound of the music bumpin' matched the thumping of my heart. I can't believe Emery dragged me to this party in the first place!

I could feel sweat forming upon my forehead, not just from the Houston humidity, but my nervousness.

I actually have to tell myself to focus on what other people are saying in social situations because my thoughts are always elsewhere. I also tend to stick with people I know very well to avoid small talk,

"Just smile and nod Misi."  I thought to myself.

I held onto Emery for dear life, these were his friends, not mine.  Not that I have any besides Iris., but she couldn't be here, she has priorities now.

Some people from school were here but this crowd was twenty and older.

"Misi, go and interact. I'm about to go handle something."

That was code for he's going to hang with his boys, who I might add, I disliked because they always had something to say when I wasn't  around.

Or he was at this party, if that's what you want to call it (I call them Fuck Fest), to see his bitches. The same bitches that fawn over him, his money, and his name; Knox.

They all wanted their babies to carry it.

I rolled my eyes and walked away from him, swimming through the sea of strangers.

To the social bees who find themselves in cliques immediately after they're introduced to one another, how do you do it? How do you do that thing called "being social?"

I hated it because everyone always comments about how quiet I am and how much better of a person I would be if I became more agreeable and less neurotic.  In addition to all things, I was always with Emery, his presence automatically captured the room--no one noticed me and if they did they were scared to talk to me--either because of my resting bitch face or because they were too afraid of Emery.

I'M MERELY HIS SHADOW.

Which I don't understand... why should anyone be scared of Emery?

He wouldn't fuck with anyone unless they fucked with him or his family, which meant that I was a liability...I guess.

He's as soft as a dove made of steel.

I found a safe place near the back of the room and near the cooler. I grabbed a  solo-cup and headed to the Panty Dropper jug.

Yes, a Panty Dropper. I knew how to hold my alcohol.  Well, I could hold about two of these before passing out pissy drunk; the container was filled with eighteen  cans of Corona, one bottle of Smirnoff, and almost two jugs of Pink Lemonade.