2

Stiles heard a knock on his bedroom door. It was unusual for him not wanting to be disturbed on a Saturday, but he'd found himself in a pile of papers on Beacon Hills werewolf history. 

"I'll be down in a minute dad!" He shouted back. 

He went back to sorting through the books and papers, trying to find the part on the Alphas. It was bugging him, and if he was gonna potentially run into an Alpha, he needed to find out information to be prepared. 

Stiles groaned at another knock on his door, getting up and swinging it open. 

"Oh...hey Scott...." He tried to spread his body out to hide the papers on the floor.  

Stiles sighed as Scott moved him out of the way, looking at all the information on the floor, as Stiles cringed.

"Stiles, Alphas, really? We talked about this!" 

"I just want to be prepared." 

"Stiles..." 

"C'mon Scott, this could tell us something useful. Maybe tell us what to do if the Alpha who bit you comes for you." 

Scott huffed, looking around the room and then back at Stiles. 

"Fine...what've you found out?" 

Stiles grinned, hopping in his desk chair and pulling a stack of papers towards himself. 

"Werewolves, also known as lycanthropes, are legendary shape-shifting humans. As the name suggests, the shape these creatures take on is a wolf. It is also one of the oldest legends of human monsters in recorded history." Stiles read out to Scott. 

"I already knew that." 

"Theres more...An Alpha is the leader of a pack of werewolves. It is the strongest, most powerful and so far the most lethal variety of werewolf. Betas or Omegas can become an Alpha simply by killing one." 

"So you're telling me that I should kill him?" 

"Exactly." 

"I couldn't beat an Alpha even if I wanted to." 

"Theres something else here about the Alphas who took over Beacon Hills. Here it says that pack members contend that it is a democratic group but observation suggested that one member leads through manipulation and intimidation." 

"So there was one Alpha who started all of this, by manipulating other Alphas to join him." 

"Yeah...so imagine how scary he is." Stiles gave Scott a worried glance. 

"But this pack of Alphas...they left Beacon Hills ten years ago."

"Yeah, when they left, they'd brain washed so many werewolves to carry this on, that they did. It just became a part of their lives, like it's become part of everyone's lives." 

Scott nodded, picking up a piece of paper next to him and reading it out. 

"Werewolves have mates. If a werewolf marks the person they're with (bites the part between the shoulder and neck) that automatically marks them as a mate. Once a werewolf has a mate they cannot reproduce with anyone else and sex with anyone else isn't satisfying.  A mated pair can only have their bond broken by the Alpha in a ceremony. It's a painful physical and emotional experience so wolves have to be sure before they mate."

Stiles looked down at the floor nervously as Scott read. 

"Stiles, why are you researching mates?" 

"I was curious! Mates are a huge part of werewolves, we need to know. Especially you Scott." 

"Please tell me you didn't look into anything further..."