35

Stiles and Scott had only been gone for what seemed 30 minutes, when they received a phone call from Deaton.

With little information being said over the phone, they rushed back over to the animal clinic.

"He's stable, he keeps falling in and out of consciousness," Deaton explained.

Stiles looked over at Derek, who was lay on the table. He walked over slowly, seeing Derek's eyes flutter open.

"Derek..." he whispered, his voice faltering a little.

"Derek...Der can you hear me, its Stiles." Stiles placed his hand gently on Derek's shoulder.

Derek seemed to be in a blur for a few seconds before he came around a little.

"Stiles?"

"Derek, thank god" he sighed in relief. "You're ok...you're at the animal clinic, it's gonna be fine."

Derek reached out, taking Stiles' hand gently. Stiles could tell he was unable to speak much, so he let the gestures do the talking. Stiles found himself gently squeezing Derek's hand back, until he felt Derek's hand fall limp.

"Der?" He looked over, seeing Derek's eyes had fallen back shut.

"Derek?!"

At Stiles' raised voice, Deaton and Scott came rushing to his side seeing Derek was still breathing but unconscious.

"His heart beat..." Scott looked worried.

"Scott, call your mother, let's get him over there."

~

Theres a steady beep. Derek's brain registers that its something important, but the constant high pitch was beginning to irritate him.

Beep...Beep...Beep....

Constantly.

He tried to open his eyes, but even with all of his effort, they still felt weak and heavy. He could hear several voices, all sounding muffled as if he were underwater.

There was a small pressure on his hand, occasionally squeezing softly. He felt stiff, like his body had been set in stone. He tried to move, but his muscles weren't cooperating.

For a short moment, the pressure on his hand was gone, before it returned. He could tell this was someone different though, more feminine.

"Derek..."

Cora? What was she doing here? Where ever here is...

"You need to heal Derek, and you might wanna hurry up about it, Stiles is driving me crazy with his fidgeting."

Stiles? Stiles was here too?

A while later, the voice disappeared, and the same warm hand as before returned. He felt a warmth against his forehead for a moment, before he slipped back off into a dream...or nightmare. 

~

It was cold, and dark. A small flickering light bulb hung from the wooden ceiling. The floor panels were old and dusty, broken and burnt.

A door slammed from far away, but the noise seemed closer. He lifted his head up, pain striking through his chest as he did. It was only now, he noticed the huge gash across his chest, bleeding out.

There were footsteps approaching, quickly, until they disappeared.

"Derek, is that you?" A small hand clung onto his younger self. Why was he younger?

"Paige? Paige what are you doing here?"

"I came back for you, to save you."

"No, you can't be here. It's not safe! Please...go."

He tried to stand, but he couldn't. He wasn't strong enough. Another door slammed, this one definitely closer.

"I know you're here Derek...I can hear your heart beat. It's rising..." A voice came from a distance away, something sinister surrounded it.

"Paige, you have to get out. Now."

"It's too late Derek, I already have what you want." The voice was closer.

"What's he talking about?" Derek pulled Paige into him, a little roughly through fear.

"I...I don't know."

He could just about make out the body of a male, in the dust and darkness.

"You can only save one of them Derek..."

Derek knelt up, making sure Paige was safely out of the way, he dragged himself out of the shadows.

The male was holding another, skinnier and much smaller male. He focused his eyesight, as much as he could on the smaller person.

"Stiles?"

"Derek...Derek help me" Stiles pleaded, his whole body aching under the grip of his capturer.

"Derek!" Paige's voice called from behind, she seemed in pain somehow.

"Which one will you choose, Derek? Which one is going to die? The choice is yours."

Derek's mind went cloudy, this couldn't be happening. Why was this happening? He couldn't choose, he had to save them both.

"No...you...you can't do this" he stuttered out.

"Or I can just kill them both, if you can't protect them yourself."

"No. No you -"

"Derek, Der please!" Stiles screamed, fearing for his life.

Paige matched his scream, pleading out for Derek to save her.

He couldn't. He couldn't save them. He'd failed, again.

~

Derek's eyes shot open, his breathing faster than usual.

"Stiles?! Where is he?!" Derek was panicked.

"Here...Der I'm here" Stiles gave Derek's hand a squeeze, making him look over.

"Thank god..." Derek sighed with relief.

It all came back to him, the break in, the kidnapping, the fight. Somehow he'd managed to crawl to the Hale house, and reside there for a short while, the rest was all a blur. 

"Stiles I....I thought you were..."

Derek was still weak, his words stuttered out.

"I thought you'd...you'd left me. I couldn't save you, I thought - " he rambled. "You...you stayed?"

With a gently smile upon his face, endeared by Derek, Stiles replied.

"You didn't think you were doing this without me, did you?"