31

For the next few days, whenever Stiles wore the triskelion, he'd end up with a burning against his skin. It was starting to confuse him, and it was pretty frustrating too. 

This morning, Stiles was sat at his desk in school, minding his own business when he felt the heat against his chest. He'd ultimately ripped the necklace off in pain, and thrown it onto his desk - immediately noticing that when it hit the table, some sort of spark arose from it. 

With that, he decided to leave school for the day, heading straight over to someone he thought could help him. 

"Stiles? Allison's right up stairs-"

"It's you I'm after" Stiles stood awkwardly on Argent's door step until he stepped aside, letting him in. 

"Scott hasn't gotten into trouble lately has he?" Stiles followed Argent into the basement, shaking his head as he did.

"No. No Scott's ok. It's um - I just need you to take a look at this" Stiles held out the necklace in his hand, seeing Argent's eyes widen a little. 

"This is the same as Derek's tattoo?"

"Yeah...he gave it to me. Since he...died...every time I wear this thing, it just keeps burning my skin. I thought maybe it'd have something to do with the silver, I - I don't know." 

Argent nodded, turning on the overhead light above his desk. Stiles watched as he carefully studied the pendant. 

"What's confusing me, is why Derek - a werewolf - would give you a necklace made from silver." Argent observed, making Stiles question it too. 

"What's so bad about silver? I mean, it's just a myth that it kills a werewolf, right?"

"A myth yes, but silver is still a mystical element when it comes to folklore. Somehow, it's meant to channel magic - ward away evil. Silver supposedly corresponds with the moon, enchanting its mystical properties." 

"The full moon..." 

Argent nodded, "I don't know much about the triskelion, but I can tell you a little something about it. The triskelion was originally hidden in three separate pieces by ancient druids. A silver triskelion was very rare - and druids would draw magic from them, if they ever found one." 

"I think I know someone who can help me" Stiles head shot up as Argent spoke.

Stiles gathered the necklace into his hand, rushing out of Argents basement. "Thanks again!" He yelled as he almost tripped, running out of the door. 

Jumping in his jeep, he started the engine, pulling off as quick as he could. 

He soon found himself pulling up outside the animal clinic, jumping out and rushing inside. 

"Ah Deaton!" Stiles caught his breath, skidding around the corner. "Are you...alone?" 

"If you're asking if Professor Shane is here, no he's not." 

"Great...I need your help." 

Deaton frowned as Stiles threw the necklace onto the table. 

"This is the necklace that Derek gave to you?" 

Stiles nodded, "you were the Hale pack's emissary right? A druid?"

"Yes..."

"What do you know about the triskelion?" 

"The triskelion is an essential symbol when it comes to mythology. It's original Celtic meaning is literally 'three things'." 

"Yeah,  I know I know...I mean, is that all it means? And what does silver have to do with it?" Stiles interrupted. 

"No. It means several different things. In Viking mythology, the Norse triskelion represented the bond between Earth, man and the sky. In Italian, the Sicily triskelion represented fertility. Over time, the triskelion came to have its own meaning to each and every person. The triskelion means a great deal to Derek, as you already know. As for the silver part...thats an interesting question." 

"Because silvers magical right?" Stiles said, almost mockingly. 

"In some ways, yes. Most believe that you need the moons power to draw from silver, however - that isn't entirely true. The magic that silver holds, can be drawn out by a lot of things. Some even as simple as a certain level of emotion. You'd think for a werewolf, silver wouldn't be Derek's choice of gift..." Deaton paused... "Unless somehow, silver is the key piece of information here." 

"What? Why? What does that even mean?" 

"I'm not entirely sure yet either..." Deaton picked up the pendant, studying it much like Argent did. 

"You'll notice, all the spirals go in the same direction. An anticlockwise spiral represents Hostility, whilst a clockwise spiral shows victory and triumph. Both this, and Derek's tattoo go clockwise." 

"Funny. We don't seem to have much victory" Stiles added. 

"I'm guessing that Derek didn't actually give you this as any gift, but rather as something else." 

"But what? What could possibly be so great about a silver triskelion? I just, I don't get it." 

"Can I ask, why did you bring this to me?" 

"I think I'm having a reaction to the silver." 

"How so?" Deaton seemed interested. 

"It keeps burning my skin. It's weird you know. It happens randomly, like sometimes I can wear it perfectly fine, and others it just...burns." 

"Has it burnt you recently?" 

"Earlier at school..." Stiles pulled his t-shirt down a little to reveal the mark it had left. 

"Interesting..." Deaton studied the mark. "The mark left behind is an anticlockwise triskelion. I'm not sure how thats even possible." 

"Hostility?" 

Deaton nodded. 

Stiles' face became confused, scared. "Meaning anger, bloodshed, strife, spite." Stiles shook his head. "Why...why would Derek give me this thing? Surely this is a terrible sign?" 

Deaton shook his head, confused too. "I have an idea. Let's try something..." He gathered a small tub of something and began spreading it out in a circle around the necklace. 

"What the hell is that?" 

"White ash."

"Sure why not" Stiles raised his eyebrows. 

"Ash is symbolic for healing and empowerment" Deaton explained as he finished the circle. "Just try this..." Deaton took a hold of Stiles' hand. "Touch it." 

Stiles skeptically touched the pendant, pulling away immediately as it sparked and burnt his palm. Deaton instantly took a hold of Stiles' palm, examining the burn. 

"It's clockwise..." Stiles pointed out, his face showing great confusion. 

"Thats impossible...it can't be." Deaton inspected it further. 

"What? What is it?" Stiles was anxious. 

"It's Derek..."