39

"Any idea what it is you're looking for?" Braeden asked as they trekked their way through the tunnels.

"No" Derek's annoyance was clear.

"Hold on" Derek stuck his arm out as he stopped dead, listening to the silence. A few seconds passed before Derek's face changed "RUN."

Without hesitation, Braeden began to run behind him, as the ruins of the tunnels began crashing down behind them.

"Wait wait wait" Braeden pulled Derek to a halt. "Ready for a fight?" She pulled her gun from her belt, aiming it down to the far end of the tunnel.

"Wha-"

"Shoot!" Breaden shouted, as green glowing eyes appeared at the far end of the darkness.

The instinct to shoot was new to Derek, it took him a few seconds for his brain to catch up to his body. He pulled the gun out, shooting the best he could at the figures.

"Go go! Now" Braeden covered Derek's back as he took a right down another tunnel, Braeden hot on his trail.

"I'll hold them off" she nodded for Derek to continue, but he refused. "Go!!"

His mind in a blur, he ran the opposing direction to Braeden, hesitantly leaving her behind.

He ran until he hit the next choice of turns, taking a left this time. He had no idea where he was going, but the noise from the fighting had died down, which was hopefully a good start. The tunnel seemed to become lighter, opening up into a larger clearing.

The walls were painted with old church patterns, Derek figured this was once the main room. He looked around, old concrete structures covered in sand were all he saw. He scavenged the walls with his hands, and surely hit what seemed to be a hollow part.

Using the butt of the gun, he smashed his way through the hollow part, revealing a chest.

"Oh no you don't" he heard a familiar voice from behind him, making him turn around in shock.

~

Stiles had been anxiously pottering around Derek's house for the past day, refusing to speak to anyone, until Lydia showed up that is.

"So you remember the night in the woods? That's what you're trying to tell me?" Stiles questioned her.

"Yes, I remember why I drew the triskelion."

"Well?" Stiles was far too impatient. "Is Derek dying or not?"

"No."

Stiles let out the biggest breath he'd ever held, slumping into the cushions, "oh thank god."

"Or at least...not anymore."

"Lydia what the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"He was dying, when I drew the mark. Somethings changed though, the feeling...it's different." She paused "almost like he's not dying, but part of him is."

"Part of him that has something to do with the triskelion" Stiles began thinking like a detective.

"The triskelion..." he pondered for a few moments. "My necklace maybe it has something to do with that. The thing hasn't burnt me since we found Derek surely that's a good sign."

"Does that mean it's not magical anymore?"

"No. I mean...deaton said that it's the bond between me and Derek, that's what makes it somewhat magical."

"So that must mean..."

"The bond? It's...the bond?"

~
Kali stood before Derek, almost laughing as he held the box in front of him.

"You won't find your powers in there Derek" she mocked him.

"What did you do to me!?" He demanded, gun pointed at her.

"You already know what I did."

"What did you do with them!? Tell me! Why!?"

"Somehow you always manage to survive, this way you'll be sure to die."

Kali roared, her eyes glowing as he launched herself at Derek. He aimed the best he could, until eventually the inevitable happened and Kali kicked the gun from his hand. Without thinking, Derek grabbed her arm as she swung it down on him, both of their eyes widening when they saw it...Derek had claws.

He lifted his hand, stunned. He was about to fight back when another person appeared. Deucalion.

"I see you have your powers back" he aimed his words towards Derek. "What's the fun in winning if it isn't a fair fight?"

"What the?" Kali snarled.

"Ah Kali" he tapped his stick. "You disobeyed me."

"I did it so we could finally get rid of him."

"And what if he wanted to join the pack?"

"He won't. And he killed Ennis - he deserves to pay."

"How can you be so sure?"

Kali seemed to hit a realisation, that it wasn't Derek. "You..." she paused "why get him to join the pack then?"

"He's some what a threat to us, although he didn't know it at the time."

Kali snarled again, for Deucalion to continue as Derek stood in silence. "What better way to eliminate the threat than having them on your side? Although it seems like getting Derek to join us will be far too difficult."

"So we just kill him, like I was about to" Kali seemed to be getting progressively annoyed. "You shouldn't have given him his powers back."

"Oh but you see, Kali, his power makes no difference. Oh no, I took away something much more precious. The most important part of Derek." Derek looked baffled as the conversation continued. "The one thing that would've finally enabled him to transform into a full wolf."

"That's why you wanted him to join" Kali joined the dots together.

"We don't have to kill him to see him suffer, and after all - he's no longer a threat."

"What did you do to me?" Derek choked out.

"You know how it goes Derek, you can only transform fully if you're an alpha, and if you're mated." Deucalions smile was sinister as he spoke "last time I checked, you're still an alpha."

"Stiles..."

"Can't feel him anymore?"

Derek's face dropped, along with Kali's.

"How? How did..." Derek couldn't speak.

Kali spoke up, the surprised yet success ridden tone of her voice cut through the silence.

"You broke their bond..."