The Other Boy

"You just have to listen for five minutes," mom says as I enter in through the door. Right away I raise an eyebrow, peering around the corner to see her in the kitchen, looking at me, my father sitting beside her. "You're not in trouble."

"What's going on?" I ask, taking a seat at the table as my eyes move between my parents. Just two hours ago I was asleep in bed, an hour ago I had gone for a run, and now I am wondering what is happening. I went for a run for an hour, loving the feeling I thought that I had forgotten until yesterday when I shifted for the first time in months.

Mom gently smiles at me, taking a seat beside me as I wonder if something is horribly wrong. "We wanted to talk to you about next week." I nod. "The pack wants more kids your age to train over the next two weeks. Nothing bad, but simple training."

I know what this is. It's not bad. It's not normal either. Basically it's a bunch of freshly graduated seniors are brought to the pack house, live there for two weeks, and train with the warriors of the pack. They do this because they know many of us will be heading out into the real world and will need protection. It won't just be humans at our colleges, but vampires, witches, and the whole Scooby gang and such.

"Do you want to do it?"

"They don't really give you a choice, mom," I reply with a smile as she nods. The pack doesn't give you a choice. You have to do it. The only thing is, I'll be away from Augustus for two weeks and will not be able to tell him where I am at all. I'll have to lie to my mate until I can show him my world. Another downside to all of this: Flynn will be there too, and because he's the Alpha's next in line, Flynn will be the 'club president' for the two weeks. If anything, these next two weeks could cause my world to flip upside down and inside out.

"I know, just wanted to give you the heads up," she informs, looking to my father as he gets up from the table.

"Plus there's a pack meeting about it tomorrow morning," my father adds in, placing a kiss upon my mom's check as he heads into his office. Looking to my mother, I watch as she moves through the kitchen, letting me know that there is no further comments onto the conversation.

"I'm going out with Augustus tonight just so you know," I call to my mother. She looks up from the sink, smiling at me.

"He's lucky to have a girl like you."

"I don't know when I'll tell him," I inform, taking a seat. "He doesn't know anything yet. I don't know when I'll have to drop that on him."

"Take your time. Humans are tricky, but I know, Amory," she begins, "I know deep down that the mate bond is strong between you, and when you drop that heavy of a bomb, he will stay."

"Thank you," I reply, hearing a car pull up outside. "I've got to go, Auguatus just got here." She nods, wishing me a good time as I pull on my shoes, grabbing my purse. Heading for the door, my father tells me to be smart, as the second I pull open the door, Auguatus stands before me. His smile makes my heart pound within my chest, his eyes meeting my own as a smile spreads across my face. "Hey," I whisper, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, tilting my head to the side as he reaches out his hand.

"You ready?"

"Yup," I respond, taking his hand as the sparks fly, electrifying my body as I follow him. With his car before me, I know where we are going tonight, a place that we used to go months ago before Molly stepped into the picture and my heart was broken. "So, how long of a drive?" I ask, sliding into the passenger seat as he opens the door for me.