Runaway

It's bright outside already, the sun burning my eyes the second they squint open. Immediately I turn my head, pushing it into the pillow as I take in a deep breath. I can smell food already downstairs, probably cold by now, but at least I know there's something to eat this morning after such a long night. I blindly reach for my phone, my hand searching my bed as it does a wiping motion, the cold device soon in my hands as I unlock the piece of technology. Two texts from Augustus.

Augustus.

Rolling onto my back, I hit a warm body, my eyes widening as I yelp, jerking away to find Flynn still fast asleep. I forgot that I had offered him a spot on the bed last night after I didn't want to send him home, fearing that only more drama would occur. He offered to sleep downstairs for me to only explain how my parents would wake up confused to find their future Alpha asleep on their living room sofa. After all, he's stayed here overnight before, right beside me as I slept because he was broken.

Pushing myself up and onto my elbows, I take a look at the future Alpha before me, how his dark locks frame his face, messy from a rough night. His jawline is strong, his cheekbones high, eyebrows enough that any girl would kill for, and his eyelashes long. The only off-setting things about him are the bruised jaw covered in black and purple, the nose all red and black, and his lip where the area is fully healed now. To think his father did this to him just because he could not control himself. To think a father would be willing to land a hand like that upon their son. It makes me sick.

Flynn has his sweats on still, but he wears an oversized t-shirt of mine from a tennis camp where I failed miserably. He sleeps like a brick. Goddess help him, I could of mistaken him as dead a couple of times.

"A picture will last longer," he mumbles, his voice hoarse from just waking up as my eyes widen. "Do you have Advil?" I nod, getting out of bed as my feet hit the cold floor. Grabbing the pill from my bathroom cabinet, I also grab him a water bottle, looking around the doorway to see him sitting up. He stretches, the shirt not hiding the fact that you can tell he's built, all the years of swimming paying off.

"Here," I announce, walking around to where he sits up, handing him the bottle and pill to help release his pain.

I decide to take the seat beside him, pointing my toes as I become nervous. I don't know what to do now. Augustus texted me asking about another date tonight, yet I know what I want now. I know who I want now. I know that I cannot do this, I cannot be unfair. I cannot go on a date with someone I do not love when there's a boy beside me who I love and he does as well. It's unfair to Augustus and to Flynn, but Flynn has a mate just waiting for him. Any day now she could walk into his life and he could never spare me a glance ever again.

"Are you going home today?" I ask, my voice soft as he runs his thumb over his bottom lip, checking that the wound is fully healed.

"Have to." I raise an eyebrow. "My mother plans on her and me to approach my father today about college."

"Can you postpone it?" I ask, worried about him as he will be approaching his mother upon a delicate topic.

He shakes his head. "I cannot. I have to be brace not only for myself, but my mother as well." I know what he means. I understand him, but I don't want him to go there expecting a battle to only result in a war by the time it's over with. "I'll call you and tell you how it goes."

"When are you going to do it?" I ask, getting to my feet as Flynn does as well. He shrugs, reaching for his phone, checking the time as I can hear the garage door open.

"I need to head out, I've got ten minutes to get there." I nod, knowing Flynn is distant. Distant because he's scared. The big and bad wolf is scared and I don't blame him. Can future Alphas not be afraid? What law determines that? None.