Superglue

My whole body is frozen, my fingers shaking is the only movement I can seem to create, my heart pounding in my chest as if it might explode, and my eyes locked on the silhouette. The wolf runs across the forest floor, the darkness of the forest making it a perfect night for a hunt for the wolf, his gigantic body not creating a single sound as his paws hit the forest floor as he chases his prey. He's the perfect hunter, imposing and silent as he strikes his prey. And he gets his prey, tackling the fellow wolf as his practice is cut short, after all, he saw me pull in near the path only two minutes ago. I have simply watched, having a feeling settle in my stomach that he is not the type of wolf you want to hunt you down, for you would be the prey stuck in the big, bad forest as he hunts you down. There's no way he can lose you...he was trained to be the best.

Second best until his sister met a painful end to her life that sent his family spiraling down into a mess.

As for me, I can barely even catch a rabbit, less try and train the way that he does nonstop because his father holds standards for him. Standards that push him until he breaks every fiber of his being and is yelled at until he heals up and begins again.

That's why he will soon be called Alpha. That's why he does not want the title.

He shifts behind a tree, coming out soon with a pair of sweats hanging low on his hips as my eyes stay locked with his.

He takes in my attire, the dress, the heels, my hair curled as I have let it down, and my lipstick needing to be reapplied. The second Augustus dropped me off I stood in my driveway, contemplating the whole night over and over. Augustus gave me his world, a piece of it that he had planned out. Augustus made me laugh, he made me smile, and he made me feel the sparks.

Augustus made me feel the sparks of the mate bond and I dug my grave deeper. I remember where he took Molly on dates, how they would go to a meal, go to a fair, the beach, or just simply sit in his car and watch the sunset. Augustus would pour out his heart to me about how much he was head over heels and wanted to even marry her.

Augustus was in love with her and now, as he looks into my eyes, I could tell tonight that it was not over. He ended it with Molly all because of one kiss where the mate bond occurred. All it took was one kiss and he was hooked, hooked not because he wants me for me, but because he wants me for the way he feels around me. Being around your mate makes you feel alive and as happy as ever...that's all we have felt. My mother and Flynn are right, the mate bond brings you together, but it's not superglue, it's simply a glue stick that is temporary and easy to pull apart.

"Amory?" Flynn asks, running a hand through his locks as I find myself taking in a deep breath. "How was your date?" He looks broken as he says those words.

I open my mouth, wanting words to escape, but the silence fills the gap between us. My car lights are still on, illuminating his face as his sharp features are present and his hunter green eyes seem to flow and appear as bright as stars.

"I-I..." I trail off, shaking my head as I let out a groan of frustration. Running my hands through my hand over and over, I form knots, my fingers stuck as I close my eyes. Flynn respects my state of mind, simply waiting patiently as I take in a deep breath. Looking up, I open my eyes, locking with his soft gaze as my heart flutters. "Superglue."

"What?"

"Superglue and a glue stick. Love is superglue and the mate bond is a glue stick."

He crosses his arms, cocking his head to the side. "Did the date go so bad that you got drunk?" I scowl, shaking my head as I find my courage, taking ahold of his hands with my own, causing Flynn to raise an eyebrow.

"The mate bond helps bring people together, but it's not strong. Easily the two mates can fall out of love as they slowly pull apart. Love is like superglue, a death sentence to get your heart involved in just like if you glue your fingers together with. Pulling away those fingers glued with superglue fucking hurts and takes time to heal, but the mate bond easily comes apart."