Part 10 || Secrets and Bonds ||

To those who aren't fans of Kpop, I'm sorry haha but I was listening to this while writing and the beat did a number on the following chapters after this so...

Song : Don't Recall - KARD

TGIF my loveliess, here's the new part wohoo~

==========

He's coming back

Those three word were associated with everything I would never wish even on my enemies.

Torture

Pain

Heartbreak

Chase Collins Phoenix is coming back.

I was hyperventilating, yes, that's what they called such a situation. My breaths were short and my vision blurred, everything just turned... blank. Nothing but white noise danced in my ears and having Valerio there to witness me in such a state didn't help either. It's his eyes, I keep telling myself, because his eyes at that moment were exactly like Chase's. Just like that, months worth of therapy went down the drain.

But why? Why now? After 3 long years of radio silence I thought he gave up on this town and forgot about everything that happened to me, what happened to us. Chase was far too smart for his own good and him coming back now right when I felt like I could finally move on—this isn't a good sign.

Valerio looked panicked, his eyes darting everywhere and nowhere until he gripped my forearms and stared at me through hooded eyes. He spoke something that I couldn't make out but soon, I found myself sinking to the floor, guided by him. He sat me down and placed my head between my legs.

"Breathe," he whispered in my ears while rubbing circles down my back. We stayed in that position for what seemed like hours and seconds until I felt my tears dry and my mind no longer filled with his eyes.

"I'm okay," I croaked to myself, sounding like a pre-pubescent teen, jolting Valerio from his position. "I'm okay." I repeated with a stronger voice.

Valerio let out a relieved breath and gave me a weak smile. "Can we go somewhere else to discuss... this?" he asked cautiously and I nodded in response, pushing the fear of relapsing to the back of my mind.

=========

We learned from our mistakes the last time. Not wanting to run the rumour mill, Valerio and I made our way to the secluded part of the town. It wasn't exactly dodgy and dangerous but in my gut, I knew it wasn't safe either. I knew the back alley he took that lead us to a small café and honestly, I was shocked.

If you asked me to play spot the difference, the results would be clear as day. Amidst all the red and decay that plagued the walls, the café stood with immaculately clean pink, I repeat, pink brick walls. There were no tables set outside like normal cafés or baristas had but instead it was decorated with so many flowers it could bring death to people allergic to pollen.

Valerio had the nerve to chuckle at my gawking and his chuckles turned to full on laughter when I almost tripped over a tiny pot of succulent. My glare unfortunately, didn't manage to melt his face off but I could feel the air between us clear a little and his eyes no longer held as much tension.

A man stood behind the counter, long blond hair tied away from his face and tattooed arms looking out of place, drying the cups while absentmindedly humming to the soft jazz playing over the stereo system. "Val!" he exclaimed with a bright expression before it turned guarded when he saw me. "You brought a lady friend?"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at his tone and forced a tight smile.

Valerio sighed while he rubbed the back of his head looking somewhat guilty. "She's cool, Damien. She doesn't know."

Know what? What wasn't I supposed to know and what about my presence that makes this mysterious and slightly intimidating older guy so guarded?

I tilted my head back and gasped. The art represented two male bodies entwined together, galaxies painted across their faces and millions of colourful flowers decorating the background, their bodies the only thing bare and exposed save their private parts that were strategically covered by their entwined legs. Marvelling at the art so beautifully drawn on the ceiling and immediately, I felt envious.

"Stunning..." I breathed out unintentionally. Maybe it was my momentary silence or the guarded look that was on Valerio's undoubtedly attractive face but Damien seemed to relax when those words came out of my mouth.

I didn't miss the mumbles of apologies that came out of his mouth or the fact that his face was a bright shade of red when Valerio smiled at him but of course, being the lady that I am, I kept my mouth shut.

We took a seat on the barstools at the counter and my eyes raked over the menu, no longer able to ignore my grumbling stomach. Skipping breakfast was definitely a bad idea.

My eyes practically bulged out of my head when they zoned on the whole Skittles section of the menu decorated colourfully.

"Why have I never been here before?" I exclaimed, incredulous, and Damien laughed.

"We opened only a month ago. I wouldn't be surprised if no one mentions this place out loud, it's quite a bad area after all."

There was bitterness in his tone that I couldn't place but before I could say anything, Damien disappeared to the kitchen to prepare our meals.

"So," Valerio started once our drinks were set in front of us. "About... umm... you know."

I scoffed, "I'm not that fragile, Valerio. You don't have to pretend like he's Lord Voldemort or something."

He blinks at me, confused and I let out a gasp. "You don't know who Voldemort is? Oh my gosh, what childhood did you go through? Did you live under a rock?"

He averted his eyes, sadness burning behind those chocolate browns and immediately, I regretted my words. Stupid April, how could you be so insensitive! He's been living with foster parents, something must've happened!

The silence was suffocating, discomfort evident in our postures and things got worse when suddenly the hand that was placed on Valerio's shoulder jerked back, pulling him out of his seat and his cup of hot coffee dropping onto the wooden floor with a crash.

I looked up to see another heavily tattooed man but this one held a dishevelled look, clothes wrinkled as if he threw them on in a rush and eyes holding a light that screamed 'crazy'.

"So, this is where you were? Long-time no see, Reese. You decide to run away to go with some bitch?"

I frowned, assuming he was talking to Valerio and confusion immediately settled in the folds of my brain.

Valerio was breathing heavily and in a flash, he was up, swinging his arm back before it connected with the stranger's face.

Valerio turned to me and I froze. I didn't know this man, this isn't the Valerio that I met. His air of sophistication no longer there, replaced by the haggard look of someone just barely scraping by to survive and there was fear mixed into his anger, rolling off his body in waves.

"April," he grunted, clenching his fists until they turned white. "Run."

And all hell broke loose.