-prologue-

Today’s the day, I thought to myself as I let a small, sad smile coat my face.

I’m sick of being the disappointment of the family and now’s the time. My brother’s college finals are over, so my parents won’t be able to blame me again. My parents are both on a work trip, and all my friends hate me now.

I quickly slide on my converse, tensing up as the cool spring air hit my bare arms. I cut through my backyard; I might as well make it quick.

It took me ten minutes to reach the end of the seemingly endless woods, but I know it’s only because I’ve come here so many times. The only place I love, it seems to be fit that it’s the place where I’ll die.

As I reached the edge of the cliff I decided to sit down so a moment, reflecting on what’s going to happen.

 School? Yeah, my seat will be empty, but it’ll be empty anyways once I would graduate later this year.

Family? They didn’t care before, why would they care after? Well, maybe not Gabe, but he’ll get over it.

Friends? I don’t have any to worry about.

I stand up, stretching my arms and rolling my neck before quietly whispering to myself.

“Let’s do this.”

I stood by the edge, my arms spread out like wings, as if I would just be soaring away with the geese. I closed my eyes and let a smile wonder over my face at the thought of being at peace. I could only imagine how I looked, does over the edge of the cliff no one dared to go to, arms spread out with a smile gracing my lips. Well, crazy has always been the one constant when it came to me.

I lifted my right foot, feeling myself sway in the gentle breeze before I was suddenly off my feet all together, a hand wrapped around my forearm and pulling me back into the toned chest of a stranger.

“What are you doing?” I cried out, attempting to remove my arm from his grasp.

“I think the question is what are you doing?” He replied, tightening each finger one by one until I stopped clawing at them.

“Trying to find peace.” I reply, still focusing on his hand, willing it to open.

“Really?” he let out a humorless chuckle. “Because, to me anyways, it looked like you were trying to kill yourself.”

“To each their own,” I dismissively raised my hand.  “But please, I’m begging you. Turn around. Go home, forget about this and forget about me.”

“And why would I do that, Bella?”

My head jerked up at the sound of my name, wondering who exactly this “heroic stranger” would be.

“Calum Hood.” My statement came out as more of a question.

“Yes, and you’re Bella Jamison. Now, Bella, please answer my question.”

“You don’t know me. I’m seriously messed up, Hood.”

“So? Maybe I want to know me.”

“And maybe I don’t want you to! Actually, I definitely don’t want you to.”

“Why?” He pulled me up to face him.

“Why what?”

“Why don’t you want me to know you?”

“Because, just like everyone else, you’ll leave. And then you’ll be just another reason, the only difference being the date on my tombstone.”

“Why can’t you give me a chance?” He waited as I averted my gaze once again. “I’m not letting you leave until you can at least answer that question.”

He stayed true to his word, leaving us to stand in an unbearable silence until I finally cracked.

“Fine,” I whispered.

“What?”

“Fine,” I raised my voice. “You have 16 days.”

“Why only 16 days?” He questioned.

“Because,” I pause and take a deep breath. “It took me 16 days to decide to kill myself.”

hello hi, author here. headsd up i was inspired by the story In 27 Days to actually write this but i had been planning to write this before i read the story so please do not jump to conclusions this idea was formed before reading that okay thank you have a good night i love you