-five-

Day 5

I groaned when my alarm went off, slapping it in the hopes to make the annoying pre-set tone stop. I slowly sat up, yawning and stretching my arms over my head before running my fingers through the birds nest I call my hair.

I winced as my index finger was caught in a tangle, trying to escape without pulling out anymore hair than I already had. I soon got out of bed, asking myself why I got up at 7 in the morning every Sunday just to go running until I remembered that this time Calum would be joining me.

I scrambled to get everything together, knowing Calum would be here at about 7:45, leaving me a short amount of time to get ready in my semi-asleep state. I stumbled over the bottom of my over-sized sweatpants, making an oof sound as my small body hit the carpeted ground.

I giggled at my clumsiness, rubbing my eyes as I stood up and continued on my way to the tall bureau in the corner of my room, ruffling through the drawers for something nicer than my usual attire consisting of an old shirt I stole from my brother and a pair of sweats, sometimes even the ones I would wear as pajamas the night before since I was too lazy to change out of them.

After throwing on a pair of shorts and a long sleeve running shirt, the weather was warming up but not nearly warm enough to wear shorts and a short sleeve or tank top, I slid my black and blue Nikes across my white athletic socks, wandering downstairs to get some food before Calum showed up.

After glancing at my phone I placed it back into the surprisingly deep pocket of my shorts I quietly made my way out the door, closing it softly so I wouldn’t have to worry about waking Gabe. I jumped almost immediately after I turned around thanks to Calum’s close proximity.

“Christ, Cal,” I gasped, clutching a hand to my chest. “You scared the shit out of me.”

“I hope not,” He laughed, slinging an arm around my shoulder. “So, where will we be running on this fine day?”

“Is that even a question” I rolled my eyes, giggling slightly. “Where do you think?”

“The woods?”

“Obviously.” I spoke, sarcasm flowing through my voice as I tugged on his hand.

“How far are we running?” Calum gulped as he stared ahead onto the winding, beaten path in front of us.

“How far can you run?” I questioned, not giving him time to respond before I darted onto the aforementioned path.

“That’s not fair!” He exclaimed from behind me, trying to catch up.

“Life’s not always fair, Hun.” I smile, keeping my attention focused on the trees surrounding the path.

“I didn’t know we were back in elementary school.” He gasped, grimacing as he came to a stop beside me.

“I didn’t know you could barely run, kind of ironic for a soccer star, don’t you think?” I retorted, gripping his hand and pulling him along once again.

“That’s what Coach always says.”

-|-|-

“Okay, okay; I have a question. What do you like so much about running?” Calum asked from across the 1980’s style table Sally’s diner what most known for.

“I mean… I guess it’s because I feel so free, you know? Like, I guess it could be the endorphins and stuff that make you feel better, but you also have a set destination. That’s the only for sure thing I have, setting a certain amount of space to run, whether it’s one mile or more, at least I know where I’m going.” I shrug, knowing I went in depth quite a lot.

“Does your brother ever go running with you when he’s home?” Calum questioned, taking another sip from his chocolate milkshake.

“Nope, you’re the first person I’ve ever invited.” I shrugged.

“Aw, I’m touched,” He giggled. “Maybe we can make this a regular thing.”

I shrugged once again, not meeting his eyes. While my days had been getting better, I wasn’t normal. Not yet, at least.

Not wanting to crush Calum’s hope I sent him a halfhearted smile as well, sipping my strawberry milkshake to keep myself from answering for a little while longer.

“Yeah, I guess.” I went back to my milkshake, glad when Calum changed the topic.

“What’s going on for you today?”

“I have so much homework,” I groaned, resting my chin on my hands. “I have to study for a Algebra test, and I don’t even understand anything on it might I add, finish an English essay, and I have to complete a lab report for Chemistry.”

“Well I’m pretty shit at Chemistry, English too, but I’m not terrible at Algebra. I could probably help if you want me to.”

“Really?! That would be amazing, thanks Cal.” I smiled, squeezing his hand once before placing it back on the tablecloth.

“It would be my pleasure.” He grinned, moving his hand over to intertwine our pinkie fingers.

“You’re a life saver,” I breathed out, sipping my milkshake for the last time.

“What can I say? It’s in the job description.” He pretended to pop his collar, grinning even wider when my giggles reached his ears.

-|-|-

“…And you just divide x by 4 and you get 18. Easy enough, right?” I shook my head to clear my thoughts.

“Did you listen to a word I said?” He chuckled as I hesitantly shook my head again, my cheeks flushing with each movement.

“Sorry?”

“It’s fine, just try to stay with me this time, alright?” He asked, poking my cheek to make sure my attention was on him.

I nodded, keeping my attention on him just like I had promised.

“Get it now?” He asked after going through the problem one more time.

“I think so, yeah.” I smiled. “Thanks, by the way.”

“For what?” He scratched his head with the pen in his hand, unintentionally making a mark on his face.

“You know, tutoring me, making me smile; the usual.” I giggled as he blushed, wrapping his arms around my shoulders.

“Like I said before, it’s my pleasure.” His voice was muffled against my shirt.

I just wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him until he let me go.

He checked his phone, eyes widening as he saw how late it had gotten, the light still shining outside tricking him.

“Shit, I was supposed to be babysitting my neighbors ten minutes ago!” He exclaimed, jumping up and pulling on his jacket before tugging me to the front door.

“Bye Cal.” I giggled as he placed a long kiss on my cheek.

“Bye Bella,” He mumbled against my cheek, turning away before shouting over his shoulder like he did every day.

“Day 5: Running.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

hellooooooo short-ish update but i needed to post something. thanks for reading!

Much Love,

Em xx