-ten-

Day 10

“Good morning.” Calum smiled, slinging an arm around my shoulders.

“Morning, Cal.” I smiled back, my voice softer than normal.

“You okay?” He asked, a look of concern masking his previous grin.

“Yeah, I’m alright.” I confirm, tightening my grip on the strap of my bag that I had haphazardly slung over my shoulder.

“Okay…” He trailed off, dropping the subject.

We walked in silence, causing me to bite my lip every so often before releasing it just as fast. I hadn’t realized what I had been doing until Calum pointed it out.

“Why do you keep doing that?”

“Doing what?” I question, capturing my bottom lip between my teeth once again.

“Oh… Sorry.” I apologized, releasing my lip immediately.

“Okay, Bella, what’s wrong?” Calum finally asked, turning me around and forcing me to look him in the eyes.

“Nothing,”

“Bullshit,” He rolled his eyes. “You and I both know you only bite your lip when something’s on your mind, you’re upset, or both. So tell me what’s wrong. Please. Bella… Please.” I groaned at his words, knowing I’d have to tell him at some point.

“I’ll tell you after school.” I assure him, turning to walk along the crosswalk as he trailed along behind me.

“You promise?” He asks, returning to his original spot on my right.

“I promise.” I sighed, keeping my eyes on the bulky silhouette of our school appearing on the horizon.

“Good.” He stated while nodding his head as the sun began to peek above the horizon, illuminating his face in a way I’ve never seen before.

I kept my eyes on him as he kept his eyes on the ground, lifting one hand to protect the brown pools from the surprisingly bright sunrise. His caramel skin seemed to shine as he readjusted his Fall Out Boy band shirt he had cut the sleeves off of.

You would think his clothing option would make him seem strange after seeing all the kids at our school dressed in their dress shirts covered by some sort of varsity jacket, whether it was their own or someone else’s. Somehow Calum, and the rest of his friends, managed to blend in just enough to be recognized but not enough to be picked out.

“What are you staring at me for?” Calum asked, meeting my gaze.

“I-I wasn’t staring,” I quickly defend myself.

“Bella, looking at someone for over thirty seconds, plus barely blinking is basically the definition of staring.” He smirked.

“Shut up.” I mumbled, nudging his toned bicep with my elbow.

He just winked in reply, lazily slinging his left arm over my shoulders again as we continued to walk to the large building in front of us.

-|-|-

“Good afternoon, Bells.” Calum’s voice rang out, making me jump from our close proximity.

“Hi, Cal.”

“You sound better.” He noted, sliding into his seat and placing his lunch on the table.

“I feel better.” I responded, placing my book on the table next to my lunch.

“That’s good.” He nodded, biting his lip like he had on the way to school.

“Cal, what’s wrong with you now?” I ask, sighing before resting my chin in my palm.