Chapter 7

"Y/N, would you be willing to take the position of major-general? And before you agree, let me make sure you know what you're undertaking."

I frowned. The news seemed exciting, but his downcast demeanor told me that whatever was to come would be less than pleasant.

"As major-general, you would be in command of an entire division. You've proven to have an incredible talent for battle strategy."

Every second he paused as he delivered his news began to feel like an hour as anticipation consumed me.

"This training camp is going to war in hardly over one week's time, and I need more leadership. It's been nearly a year since I promoted Lee before the battle of Monmouth, and that didn't quite turn out as well as I'd hoped. I ended up having to promote your friend Lafayette in his place." He chuckled at the memory. He cleared his throat as he glanced back at me, seeing my concerned expression.

"The only issue with this whole situation is your gender."

My mouth hung slightly agape, and indignation was plastered all across my face as he uttered those words. It was beyond me that I could have spent the last few months talking through battle strategy with General Washington and training alongside his troops and somehow was still seen as less than the men there.

"Now don't get me wrong, everything you're doing for our army is outstanding. What I haven't told you, though, is that I have you enlisted without Congress' approval. They don't know you exist," he began to slightly grimace as he continued, "and trust me when I say they wouldn't exactly be thrilled to have a female soldier, let alone a major general."

Congress can kiss my ass, I thought, though I couldn't do anything about it except maintain the scowl that sat on my face.

"So now what? I am sure you 'ad a reason for calling me here other than to tell me I cannot be a major general." I raised my eyebrows at him, trying to stay patient. I just had to remind myself that this wasn't his fault, and that I could release my anger later in a strongly-worded letter to the Continental Congress.

"Yes, of course. I'd like you to take the position anyway." He nodded.

"But Congress-"

"Just listen," he took a deep breath, "I suppose there's no way to put this except bluntly, but I need you to disguise yourself as a man."

For a moment all I could do was stare at him. My expression instantly contorted to one of complete shock. Though my list of guesses for what he would ask was at least a mile long, that was not on it, and I would almost have thought that it was an elaborate hoax.

But I knew who I was speaking with.

I could do nothing more than stare at him; I was far too stunned.

"Y/N, I know this must come as a shock."

"You could say that," I muttered bitterly.

"And I know that this is far from ideal, but please, hear me out," he finished. I eyed his weary expression with annoyance, and though I knew it was misplaced, I couldn't bring myself to care. Nonetheless, considering that this was the general, I couldn't just say no.

"I am listening." I folded my arms with a huff.

"Y/N, when you joined the army, you knew the danger you would be exposed to. You knew that every day you would risk life and limb to fight for our independence. You knew that you would have to sacrifice your life at home with your family, to sacrifice all the comforts that came with it."

My hard jaw softened at the mention of my family. What was Mémé doing right now? What about Nael? Likely still asleep, the lazy-

"After everything you've given up, I need you to give up just one last thing—your identity."