Chapter 21

I stayed up till 3 am to finish this, pls leave a vote and comment or 2 :))

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

I awoke late in the day the next morning (the next afternoon, really), and found myself still burrowed into the coat Lafayette had lent me, even under my blankets. A soft smile crept onto my face, my eyes fluttering back shut as I nuzzled into the jacket, inhaling everything that smelled like him, from the collar to the lining. I hummed in contentment, pulling it closer into myself, and sighed, smelling him on everything with each breath I took.

Scrunching my nose up, squinting as I looked into the early afternoon light, I sat up, propping myself up on my arms behind me on the bed. I blinked hard as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, just as the sound of footsteps from the room next to mine met my ears. Lafayette must be awake.

I let out a soft yawn as I lifted myself from the bed, grabbing my fake glasses from my desk as I made to leave the room. I took a sideways glance at the mirror Lafayette had put out on the desk in a weak attempt to decorate. My hair was getting long. Too long. I needed to cut it again before I went back to looking like myself.

I inhaled roughly as I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear, biting my lip as I reached Lafayette's doorway. I knocked lightly on the doorframe, despite the room not having an actual door, and leaned against the side of it, my arms crossed. He looked up with wide eyes, his face breaking into a smile upon seeing me.

"Levi!" he said, sounding slightly surprised to see me, "I, uh... 'ow did you sleep?" I chuckled softly.

"Pretty well, before you decided to what, practice an avant garde version of the drums on your furniture?" I raised my eyebrows with a teasing smile, and he rubbed the back of his neck, letting out a nervous laugh.

"Forgive me, amour; I did not mean to wake you," he said -- was he really calling me that, now? -- a soft smile finally settling onto his face, "But seeing as it is past noon, per'aps you should trying being less lazy, hm?"

My jaw dropped in mock offense. "Excuse me if helping to lead an actual revolution has been tiring me out," I scoffed, "Not all of us can run on two hours of sleep for months and come out of it perfectly fine."

He shrugged, turning back to his desk, where he was stacking a few things up, appearing to be putting them away. "What can I say, sleep is for ze weak."

"You calling me weak, Lafayette?" I challenged, cocking a brow.

"What are you plan to do about it if I am, King?" He folded his arms, looking back at me with a smug smile. I shrugged.

"You'll see." I shot him a wink, and he rolled his eyes, moving to put his stack of papers on his bookshelf. "Anyway, you ever gonna invite me in, or am I gonna have to stay in the doorway forever?" He scrunched up his nose.

"Whichever keeps you furthest away from me," he said, and I scowled, walking into the room anyway, perching myself on the edge of his bed.

"Funny hearing that from the guy who decided to put where I was staying right next to his own room," I mused, and he smirked.

"Please, I only did zat because we both know you would 'ave forced me to move your room if I 'adn't, and I didn't feel like dealing with ze drama," he chuckled, unfazed. My jaw dropped.

"Oh yeah?" I challenged, folding my arms as I stood, taking a few steps toward where he was at his desk. He chuckled, turning to face me.

"Oui." He followed suit, folding his arms, and walking toward me. "You would not 'ave been able to stand being away from me."