Chapter 19

thanks for 50k lovies 😘😘 ill try to keep the updates coming

✧ ✧ ✧

No sooner had the snow melted than Lafayette was packed and ready to keep riding south.

"Can't stay even another day?" It was a sort of pleading grin that rested on Thomas' face right beneath raised eyebrows, and Lafayette chuckled, shaking his head.

"I am afraid not. It is nearly Christmas, and I need to watch out for mutiny. As much as I wish I could spend ze season with ze two of you," --he paused at this, meeting my eye, flashing me a small grin-- "ze war 'as to come first."

Thomas sighed, running a hand through his curls, and plastered on an exaggeratedly sad face. "Well, just know that we're gonna miss you. Christmas isn't gonna be the same."

"'We'?" I repeated quizzically, and Thomas raised an eyebrow. "Thomas, I may not be a general," --Lafayette shot me a wink at this-- "but I am still fighting in ze war. It is not going to win itself."

Thomas' jaw dropped, his face the picture of (quite obviously fake) indignation. "Don't tell me now I've lost both of you!"

I chuckled. "I think I can manage to stay a few more nights. Just... not too long. Duty calls."

Thomas hummed his approval. "Alright. Better than nothin'." He turned to Lafayette, offering him a hand to shake with a genuine smile. "Good luck down there fightin'. Show 'em what France has got."

Lafayette grinned, clasping Thomas' hand between both of his, shaking it heartily. "Do not worry. When I am done, zey will wish I 'ad not started."

"That's what I like to hear." The pair both had something of a violent glint in their eyes, and there was a clear understanding between the two that couldn't quite be read as Lafayette took a step back, turning instead to you.

"I 'ope zat zis will not be goodbye until ze end of ze war," he said softly, giving me a sad smile.

"I suppose we share zat interest, zen," I replied, matching his expression. I bit my lip as he stepped forward, pulling me into a tight hug, and I held him close.

"Au revoir, mon amour," he whispered, and I smiled.

"Remember, Lafayette, no matter what 'appens at war, you are still you. 'Old onto zat," I murmured, and he pulled away slightly, wearing a melancholy expression.

"Ze same goes for you," he said, resting his forehead against mine, "You are worth so much more zan just another soldier. You always will be. Toujours, mon amour."

Je'taime rested on the tip of my tongue as I smiled, but I instead opted for, "Merci, Lafayette. Au revoir."

He pulled away with a small smile, before turning to pick up his bags. "Thank you again for ze 'ospitality, Thomas. I will not forget it. If you are ever in France, you must allow me to return ze favor."

He grinned. "Maybe I will."

"Au revoir." And with that, he turned to pull open the double doors at the front of the house, allowing a gust of freezing wind to rush into the house, and he squinted at the ferocity of the day. The snow had melted under the bright sun, but it was hardly warmer. Still, he stepped out, slipping his bags into the sack he had slung over his horse in front of its saddle, and proceeded to mount it. He waved to us as he took one last look back at the manor, and we waved back before he began riding off.

Thomas closed the doors with a sigh, and the minute they fell into place on the doorframe, I turned to him wearing an urgent look.

"You have to get me out of 'ere as soon as possible without Lafayette seeing. My things are upstairs, under ze bed, packed. Is zere a back exit? One where 'e will not see me if I am going ze same way as 'im?"