Chapter 18

I gotta say I regret the ending of the last chapter bc that was j lazy and cheap writing but now i gotta run w it

here's 5200 words of pure fluff, have fun

---

His forehead rested against mine as I stared back into his dark eyes, the flecks of gold in his irises no longer twinkling as I realized what we'd just done.

"Thomas? I--"

I instantly shoved his chest away, and his hands rested loosely on my waist as both our heads snapped to the voice in the doorway, our breathing heavy. My eyes widened.

"Merde, Lafayette--"

"Non! Non! Je suis vraiment désolé, mes amis, je savais pas que j'entrais dans quelque chose... de privé."

"Non-- Laf-- Wait!" I sputtered, pushing Thomas away and rushing toward the door, but at that point, he had already scrambled away up the staircase, and I couldn't blame him. I reached the doorway with pursed lips and ran my hand through my hair with a scowl as I turned around. "Why did you kiss me!?" I demanded with a panicked expression, and his eyes widened.

"You're kidding, right?! I--" He let out a dry huff, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Why'd you kiss me back!?"

"That is not ze point! You kissed me first!"

"Well, you didn't exactly put up any resistance, darlin'!" He pursed his lips, clenching and unclenching his jaw. "I-- God, I kissed you 'cause I wanted to, alright? I don't regret it!"

"Well, I do!" I huffed.

"Yeah, and? That's not my fault! If you didn't want to kiss me, you shouldn't have kissed me," he said bitterly, and I pressed my lips into a thin line.

"God, you are such an asshole," I scowled, and his eyebrows shot up.

"I'm an asshole? Darlin', I'm not the one tellin' the guy I just kissed how much I hated kissin' him!" he exclaimed with a dry laugh, running his hands through his hair as he turned away. My eyes widened. I had been too caught up in my own mistake that I hadn't remembered I was speaking to an actual human with actual feelings. "Whatever, Y/N. Just, whatever."

"Thomas, I did not mean zat-"

"It's fine, Y/N! Enjoy your bitter, self-loathing regret." He smiled cynically at me, and I sighed.

"Come on."

"No, really! Please, continue on about what a mistake kissin' me was."

"Thomas, I am in love with Lafayette."

His eyebrows shot up.

"You-- With him--?" I nodded, a sad smile creeping onto my face, and his expression dropped. "Well see, that's a different story."

"Oui," I sighed, "Oui, it does change zis a little."

There were a few moments of silence, before he asked, "So why did you kiss me, then?"

I gave him a timid smile. "Warmth of ze time? Something like zat?"

He quirked up an eyebrow at me, an amused smile on his lips. "Heat of the moment?"

"Oui! Zat!" I exclaimed with a grin, pointing a finger at him, and he laughed. My grin fell to an apologetic smile. "Thomas, I am... sorry for ze outburst. It was uncalled for."

"You're damn right it was," he scoffed, and I deadpanned as I looked him in the eye, eliciting a teasing grin from him. "But it's okay, darlin'. Heat of the moment, right?"