Chapter 20

oof i guess im back, validate me hoeasses 💗💋💘💓💕💕💌💞💕💓❤💓💘💘💋

quick a/n, i edited past chapters so nael -- the brother -- is now a doctor

also pls vote and comment!! feedback is deadass the only thing that keeps me even a little bit motivated <3

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

Of course, that night, Nael decided it had been too long since he had seen all of us, let alone in the same place, and took that conclusion to his next great idea that we all ought to go drinking. Herc, being himself, wholeheartedly agreed, and thus, Lafayette and I found ourselves being reluctantly dragged to the nearest town.

"Laf and I are generals, we shouldn't even be drinking!" I whined, and Herc slung his arms around both of our shoulders wearing a wide grin.

"And I'm a soldier, and Nael's a doctor, and what about it?" I caught Lafayette's eye as Herc cocked an eyebrow, and we shared an unimpressed look.

"Oui, but ze two of you do not 'ave to run an entire division of ze army," Lafayette replied dryly, and Nael huffed.

"But it is Christmas," he pleaded, and I rolled my eyes.

"Not for another two days it isn't, dumbass," I scowled, and he gave me a mock pout.

"Aw, are you angry zat I distracted you from your work?" He also threw an arm around my shoulder, leaning in closer to my ear, and adding in a hushed tone, "or are you angry zat I distracted you from your work?" He nodded toward Lafayette, raising his eyebrows suggestively, and I huffed.

"Oh, fuck off, Legrand," I scoffed, shoving him off me as he winked.

"I am not wrong."

I rolled my eyes, not bothering to give him the satisfaction of a response as I turned to Lafayette. "Anyway, how have things been here in south camp since I last saw you?" I asked, "I know it's like, my first time here and all, but I think I got the gist of most of what had happened before."

He shrugged. "Nothing much new. It 'as mostly been ze same since I last saw you; no 'uge developments."

"So what I'm hearing is it's been terribly boring without me?" I raised my eyebrows, elbowing him lightly in the side, and he rolled his eyes dramatically.

"More like we 'ave finally been able to relax without you messing up any battles plans for a little while," he retorted with a smug smile.

I faked a look of indignation at first before pursing my lips, and saying, "I'm taking that to mean you missed me."

He chuckled. "Not quite 'ow I meant it, surprisingly."

"Nah, I'm pretty sure that was exactly what you meant," I said, nodding, and he shook his head at me.

"Whatever you say, King," he sighed, turning to look me in the eye with a small smile.

"So what I'm hearing is that I'm right?" I couldn't help but raise my eyebrows I met his eyes, but my expression softened as I bit my lower lip, studying his warm gaze. The warm brown of his eyes glowed in the light of passing shops, open flames of candles in windows dancing in their depths, and the corners of my lips quirked up into a small smile.

"Woah, there." I broke his gaze as I was suddenly jerked backward by a strong hand on my shoulder, and my eyes widened as I stumbled a few steps back. He still hadn't told me I was wrong.

"We're here, dumbasses. When we say we're going into the pub, try to go into the doorway, not crash into the walls." Hercules chuckled, glancing between us, as I averted my gaze to my feet. The ground had suddenly become incredibly interesting, and it certainly had nothing to do with the fact that my face was burning, nor that I was afraid to look any of my friends back in the eye.