Chapter 17

I awoke to what felt like a dream: sun filtering through shutters in a large window in a large bedroom where I lay in its warm glow, my limbs tangled with a Frenchman who smelled of wildflowers and cinnamon, my head laid only separated from his chiseled chest by a thin button down.

I didn't think I could've imagined the scene better.

I wasn't sure how Lafayette and I ended up tangled in each other, but I wasn't complaining as I basked in the warmth and strange--though not unwelcome--musk of his body.

I hummed lightly in content as I pulled myself closer to him, feeling his light snores vibrate through his chest.

As I sighed lightly, the snores slowed, and I tilted my head up to look at Lafayette, leaving the strong wind outside the only noise reaching our ears.

Eventually, he cracked open one eye, giving me a teasing grin. "Who knew you were such a cuddler."

I let out a soft snort of laughter. "Everyone who 'as ever shared a bed with me, dork. Which includes you, on multiple occasions."

"Je ne me plains pas, amour," he murmured, pulling me closer, and I giggled.

We laid there in a peaceful silence for many moments, before I sighed, tilting my head up to look him in the eye.

"'Ey, Laf?"

He looked down at me, his brow creased. "Oui?"

"Can you tell me about Levi King? You know... ze man you... ?" I trailed off, looking at him with a comforting smile, and he sighed.

Was it fishing for compliments if it was only technically about me?

It didn't seem to matter though, as a small smile formed on Lafayette's lips at the thought of him, and he opened his mouth, hesitated and closed it again. "Y/N, I do not know zat you would want to--"

I groaned and shoved his chest. "Come on, Lafayette, you cannot simply tell me you are in love with someone one day and not tell me about zem ze next."

"I did not tell you about 'im, connard!" he laughed, shoving my shoulder, and I rolled onto my back with a groan.

"Lafayette," I whined, drawing out his name, and he looked at me with a fake pout.

"Y/N," he mimicked my tone, and I scoffed. "I... will tell you about 'im in due time, oui?

"Oh? And when is zat?" I asked, quirking up an eyebrow. He only shrugged.

"At some point. When I am not too busy enjoying being wrapped under a bed. And certainly not when I am too busy enjoying my personal heater." He grinned, pulling me back into him as I squirmed in his embrace, failing to suppress a smile of my own.

"Laf, you cannot be wrapped under a real bed; zat is not 'ow beds works," I pointed out with a poorly stifled laugh, and he tangled his legs in mine, shushing me as he buried his face in the side of my neck, and I found myself rolling onto my side to face away from him.

"Not now, amour, I am asleep, I cannot 'ear you." He only pulled me closer, and I twisted my torso under his arms, but let up as I felt his smile widen against the side of my neck.

"I guess I should be quiet, zen," I murmured with a smile, resting my head fully on the pillow as I relaxed in his embrace.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

I was more than happy to lay with him as he fell back asleep, though, despite it being late in the morning at that point. I could only imagine he was as sleep deprived as I was from the past several months.